Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was considering getting these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-2005-F...19098QQtcZphoto
Whats everyone think about these? Cheap? Good? Bad?
Not sure how theyd look on my car but....

And to get these, I'm assuming the weights when the tires were balanced are gonna get in the way... I'm not sure how balancing an alloy rim works, but I dont think the weights are supposed to be visible on the rim...

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I think they are an awesome invention and I've never heard anything bad about them.

And yeah, I think that you need to put the weights on the inside of the rim but it will be harder to get balanced perfect

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
So, I was considering getting these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-2005-F...19098QQtcZphoto
Whats everyone think about these? Cheap? Good? Bad?
Not sure how theyd look on my car but....

And to get these, I'm assuming the weights when the tires were balanced are gonna get in the way... I'm not sure how balancing an alloy rim works, but I dont think the weights are supposed to be visible on the rim...
[/b]
Aren'y these a pic of them on a smiliar looking Taurus?

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=63743

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Sean, I get mine balanced on the inside only on all my rims and I've never had a problem.

I don't like the sticky weights because a lot of times you can see them from the outside of the rim.

I get mine static balanced with the clip on weights only.

It leads to a cleaner looking rim and it doesn't allow crud to get under the weight and corrode the it.

Joe, I would say go to a ford dealer and see how their Tauri look in person on their used car lot.

They put alot of those chrome covers on their used cars (at least they do here in the Detroit area). :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
the chrome skins are used by a few people on the truck forum i frequent.... the only issue that people there have had with them is that they scratch the rim when you put them on or take them off.... and of course they didn't have holes for lugs... so you have to take it off everytime you need to take the wheel off...

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
The Tauri skins do have the holes for the lugnuts.
I've never checked if you could fit a lug wrench in there though. :dunno:

·
Registered
512 Posts
i had them on my grand am and i didn't even know that they were till i saw what the rims accually look like and they were on ebay

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Cheap and tacky IMO... and I imagine the rims would end up trashed after a while (i.e. damage from whatever holds the cover on, corrosion from the moisture and salt the covers no doubt would retain).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Got them on mine and love them. Can't even tell they are not chrome wheels. Cheap and tacky... whatever! That's just one opinion. :angry: Some people are chrome haters, some love it.

Here's some pics...

So far as the wheel weights, they just snap on with clips to the wheel spokes. Don't get in way of the weights.
Bought mine from same Ebay seller you listed. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Got them on mine and love them. Can't even tell they are not chrome wheels. Cheap and tacky... whatever! That's just one stupid opinion. :angry:
[/b]
they look cheap[/b]
Cheap and tacky[/b]
Yes... "one stupid opinion"... sure. :rolleyes:

This is why I almost never comment on people's aesthetic mods. I should know better than to give an opinion when someone asks for it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had a set on my Taurus and when I pulled them off to go get the tires balanced and rotated and to clean the inside (it's hella dirty), the skins had scored and dug into the rim. It was like curb rash deep in the middle of the wheel. They'll end up damaging your original wheels. But if you plan to keep them on ALL the time, I guess it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
228 Posts
at first i was like no way, they are just hubcaps but then when i see them on joecools they do actually look like rims. and i did have some chrome hubcaps on mine before but they did look cheap and tacky but i still loved them lol. but yeah these look good IMO

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
They aren't bad looking at all B)

·
Registered
285 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>Got them on mine and love them. Can't even tell they are not chrome wheels. Cheap and tacky... whatever! That's just one stupid opinion. :angry:
[/b]
they look cheap[/b]
Cheap and tacky[/b]
Yes... "one stupid opinion"... sure. :rolleyes:

This is why I almost never comment on people's aesthetic mods. I should know better than to give an opinion when someone asks for it. :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]

meh, it's cool. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some people like chrome, some dont.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
A customer at my work has them on his car, they look nice until you take them off, your original wheels are DIRTY. Like mentioned above, if you either clean your wheels once every other week, of just plan to keep them on all the time you are ok. They do scratch the original wheel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts