Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my 2000 12 valve SE started chirping. Car has 75k miles. Today was able to trace it down to area or belt/ alternator/ etc. It is definately chirping in rhythm with the belt. To me it sounds like a pulley going out. Car has original belts though.

Any ideas on this, cost, etc?

I am taking it to dealership either Thursday or Friday to have them do tranny flush because we are leaving out early Sunday in the car on vacation (400-500 miles each way). Plan on getting dealership to look at it (as bad as I hate to) and have them change the belt regardless. The belt looks easy to change in one aspect, but there is very very little room.

Any advice appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
There was someone else that had posted a very similar thread in the last week or so and it ended up being both his idler pulley and the belt tensioner.

Ah, here is the link: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6769

Yes, there isn't much room to work but the belt is actually easier to replace then it seems.

If your belt is in need of replacing i would do that and when you have the belt off check the pulleys as described in the above thread. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My '96 does something similar, in my case it's the A/C clutch making all the racket when the clutch isn't engaged.

My temporary solution has been to run the A/C all the time. :D

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help.

Can anyone point me to a picture that id's the tensioner and idler? Found on search how to replace tensioner, but not idler.

ALSO...Sunday we had flooding rains. Had to driver through higher water at intersection. Wasn't very deep, but very possible water got slashed into this area. How could this effect things? Started squeeking next time (this morning) I cranked it.

Thanks and please help me out. I wanna make sure this thing is ready for a road trip. I wanna feel safe with my wife and 10 week old daughter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts