Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have that bird chirping sound, and I cahnged the belt some months ago, and guess what it's back? I read about the belt tensioner going bad and making this sound, and I read about the idler pulley going bad making this sound. Now I know where the belt tensioner is but where exactly is the idler pulley? Is this something that I can chane out myself? Oh, I have a 01 ses (vulcan)..

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
I had a problem with my gen 4 squeaking. I had the oil pan gasket replaced and ever since then it squeaked every once in awhile. It was a "chirping" sound. From what we gathered, it was somethign with the water pump.

Also, my coolant box had a crack in it and was leaking coolant slowly all over the belt so that made it worse. This could be your problem. Check your coolant regularly to see if it's leaking at all. Mine had a VERY small crack. The box is less than $100.00 from Ford and they have revised version as the old one is prone to cracking.

-Kyle

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the idler pulley the one above the belt tensioner( on the gen4), because I took the belt off, and turn this one, and thta's the one making the noise..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did this fix it?? The idler Pulley?? Cause I'm having the same problem on my Gen 3 after replacing with a brand new belt. Squeals only under 1000 RPM though.

Holla back

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
If the belt tensioner went bad, you'd probably know it, and it'd be alot louder than a "chirping" sound. When mine went bad on my old Topaz, it banged. And I don't mean a little bang, I mean it sounded like a damn cannon went off under my hood. I had no A/C, power steering, or alternator, because there was no tension on the belt.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
There's a pivot point in the tensioner and when it's old and worn out it will squeak. I replaced both the idler and tensioner pulleys on my 3.8 and the belt and there was an annoying chirping sound coming from the tensioner, it was also a little crooked, I replaced it and the noise went away and the new tensioner was straight.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
First off, on the idler, what makes them bad is the bearing. The bearing usually fails causing more drag on the pulley, in turn making the belt slide over the pulley rather than driving the pulley. That is where the squeak comes from.

Tensioners can fail in 2 ways. 1) the bearing fails like I said above. Or 2) The spring gets worn or broken causing the belt to not have the right amount of tension. This is where you get the chirping you described.

To check the bearings... take off the belt and rotate the pulleys. The shouldn't be any drag or noises. Then try to move the pulley from side to side... there should be very little movement (if any).
To check the spring...while the belt is one, push down on it. You should not be able to move the tensioner very much. (a broken spring should be obvious. I won't go into that :) )

hope I helped a bit. :blush:
Anonda

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
OK who forgot to switch users or is Bob over your right shoulder. :D

Bob must be teaching her well.

way to go Anonda :banana:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took the belt of and turn the idler pulley by hand, and wouldn't you know that's what's squealing, it seems like waht you guys (anonda & bob) said the bearings are bad. Picked up another for $25 bucks at the Ford dealership, just have to make time to put it on. Thanx guys!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guess what changed the idler pulley, and I still have the chirp, it's not as bad as it was but it's still there but fainter. Do you this it's the belt tensioner? Man, I could have sworn it was just the idler, guess I'll get the tensioner and swap that out too.

G

·
Sometimes failure of one will affect both. Some of the rubber from the belt may have transferred onto the surface of the other pulley. One question though, have you ever used belt dressing on this car? If not, don't! It will only add to the problem.

And Jarod, she's been learing well! We actually had the same problem with our 97 a awhile back.

G

·
I had a really bad squeal at ROTB, just ask anybody there, lol. :lol: Anyways, when I got back I took it to the stealership and they found out it was being caused by my new Goodyear Gatorback belt. <_< The had to put a "Ford" belt on it, because a "Ford" belt is the only one that will work. :rolleyes: :lol2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well guys changed the belt tensioner, and no more chirping! So now my bull has a new idler pulley, and belt tensioner. I love when a plan comes together. LOL!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts