Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, it is not from the cam synchronizer. I replaced the synchronizer over the summer because of a different chirping noise. This chirping comes from the serpentine belt. I first noticed it six years ago. It would go away after the car was driven for a while after storage. This is my winter car. This winter the chirping subsided after driving but never went away.

Diagnostics show the chirping goes away when I squirt water on the flat side of the serpentine belt. The noise will not go away when I squirt water on the ribbed side. So I don't think it's any of the bearings.

One time I took the serpentine belt off and sanded down any glazing on the flat side. This made the noise go away for one day only. I then replaced the serpentine belt with no relief, which again made the noise go away briefly.

Has anyone experienced this and made it go away? It is a very annoying noise. The car is a 2001 Sable with the 3.0L Vulcan engine.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I would really examine the tensioner pully and you may have to get the belt off it so you can spin it freely by hand and check if you can wobble it. Not sure how wetting the flat side of the belt would stop the noise but maybe it's possible the idler bearing is bad causing it to be out of alignment with the belt.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Along those lines someone suggested the same thing about resistance from a bearing causing the chirp. Lubricating with water caused it to glide instead of slip. If so, this means I only have to look at the flat-faced pulleys, and not the grooved ones for a bad bearing.

Having only an inch of clearance in front of the serpentine belt will make this task a chore. I may have to lower the engine to get at all the pulleys.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you got a generic belt from a local auto parts store, then I bet that's the problem. I went through a frustrating period of trying to solve a belt chirp problem, and not until I got a Goodyear Gatorback (now called Continental Elite) belt did it fully go away. Read the full thread at belt chirping.

No need to lower the engine... there's room to reach your arm in and test the pullys. Search online for how to release the belt and how to re-thread it. It was my first time doing this, but wasn't too hard.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
If you want it to just go away, use an old timers trick.

Put baby powder on the belt.

No more squeak.

·
Registered
559 Posts
there's a lot of tools I've purchased over the years that make life a lot easier working on cars, a few bucks for a tensioner pulley tool at harbor freight is one of those tools

Reactions: kekaye56

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking of using belt dressing. After all, it's on the flat side.

·
Registered
605 Posts
@kestas,

Currently, my bull has the exact same issue as yours. The noise will go away after I drive the car for a while. So far, I have replaced the OEM Belt/Tensioner pully and a good Idle pully but the issue still happens.

When the weather gets better, I will remove the belt and check the water pump and see whether the noise comes from there.

Best

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I threw some powder on it yesterday. The squeak went away. Cheaper than a new belt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts