Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Chip And "edge" Programming

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  95FORDT 
#1 ·
My next expensive mod for my car is going to be a chip or tuning device. And i was wondering what it will do for my 95 GL performance wise and how much i should pay for a decent one. And if i dont get a chip i saw this thing on Trucking TV the other day that used this thing called Edge Perfomance like an extra computer and the used a GMC 2500 Diesel and it went from a 17.4 to a 15.2 just putting the edge performance kit in. Considering its a stock huge truck thats not tooo bad. But ya im a noob that this sorta thing so any input would be well appriacted and i also know that its a topic that comes up alot but I would feel better If i got it answered just for GEN 2 SLOs. Thanx

#2 ·
Or i could just be ignored....
:bump:

#4 ·
If that was a diesel, it was probably a turbo-diesel, and a chip will do a heck of alot more for a turbo'd engine than a NA engine. The reason being that the timing is advanced with the chip and the added amount of air in the combustion chamber, being ignited earlier causes the engine to be much more powerful.

A guy I used to work with has a 95' F-250 with the 6.3 Liter engine, and after he put a Superchip on it, he had it dyno'd at over 400 hp and 500 ft/lbs of torque.

As a rule of thumb, be wary of anything you see on an informercial. Sometimes, you stumble upon a gem, but it's typically overpriced or misrepresented.

JR

#7 ·
No i just get bord very fast

#8 ·
Looking on ebay, I can get a resitor that I put in the MAF that supposesly gives me 20 more hp. This a rip or will give me more power. It cost like 10 bucks so i think its sketch. Thanx if anyone knows about this

#10 ·
I can be talked out of it, I trust the pros here that know me than I do thats why I asked. But thats funny you can buy those things at radio shack but more harm than good what does that mean? If it gives me power cool. If it takes miles off the car fine, I only have 24k. I dont realy care about that kind of stuff, this car is more of a huge guess and try car to me. I like the car n all but i didnt pay for it so i figure im i gonna screw up a car Itll be this one. Parts like could even possiblly ruin the engine wont touch the bird or the mercedes. THanx Agian

#11 ·
Also i saw this thing in JC Whitney that retunes your engine, you hook it up to the computer and you tell it what limiters to take off and boom. Says its also universal is this a deal for like 300???

#12 ·
I seen that too and thought about going 50/50 on it with my friend

#13 ·
Well like Id do it just the amout of cash I have currently is only $230 and in the process of getting a real job. So like I will eventrully get one and Im leaning toward the universal thing the more that i think about it because I could like charge ppl 10 bucks to retune their car in 5 mins and eventrully in theory it will pay for itself. Anybody else thought about this other than me an TMonster? Also mike said the resistor thing for you MAF could damage your car one way or another anyone else no about those thigns?? Thanx again

#14 ·
or not....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.