Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
From personal experience with both books I think Chiltons is better. It also has more pictures.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Depending on how quickly you need it, try looking on Ebay for the Ford factory manual on CD. For my 03, the closest Haynes was 96 to 2000.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I don't honestly know. As long as it gets the job done I'm happy.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Originally posted by kodak_jack@Aug 5 2004, 08:59 AM
Depending on how quickly you need it, try looking on Ebay for the Ford factory manual on CD. For my 03, the closest Haynes was 96 to 2000.
Yep, if you've got time, definitely go for the Ford factory manual. My Ford service CD covers 1997-2002 cars and I got it off ebay for something like $30...The Ford factory stuff contains specific diagnostic trees which are really useful when you get codes out of the computer. I don't recall the Chilton or Haynes manuals having them, but I could be wrong...

Another option if you don't mind spending the extra money, you can go to http://www.alldata.com and get access to service information for your car for a subscription. With that, you can get all the TSBs, etc. as well...I found it very useful when working on my gf's Saturn (her car had problems and we didn't have time to mess around getting shop manuals off ebay, and I'm not a fan of Chilton or Haynes).

So you have a lot of choices...

·
Registered
394 Posts
I myself have a Haynes, but I know for a fact that Chilton's is much more in depth. I get the idea that the Haynes manual is for the average "Do-it-yourself-er", while the Chilton's manual is for more advanced mechanics. What do you all think?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts