Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hybrid technology, GM-style: instead of a sedan or compact getting 60 mpg, Chevrolet introduces later this year the Silverado hybrid, delivering a stunning 18 mpg combined, up from 16 mpg combined from the non-hybrid 1500. Unlike other manufacturers' hybrid implementations, the Siverado's electric motor does not directly drive the wheels; rather, the 5.3l gasoline engine shuts itself off when not moving, and the electric motor helps start it again.

:rofl: Ford's escape gets 35mpg....

FORD >>>>>>> Chevy

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Ya I did part of my speech about that, how horrible Chevy was with their so called "hybrid" engines. Ford OWNS...lol.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out my hybrid... a whole 2mpg more :eek: :rofl:

·
Registered
517 Posts
ok that is cool lets us an electric motor to get us going but not do any thing for the highway that is realy smart.. :beat-chevy: that is not going to help any one that just dives highway i think it would be more of a problem than anything stop at a light then wait for your truck to start to go :p

·
Registered
82 Posts
So let me get this straight: every time you start out from a stop, you have to listen to your engine start over and over? I can do that now but my batteries or starter won't last very long! :lol:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Originally posted by n2_space@Jun 18 2004, 12:35 PM
the 5.3l gasoline engine shuts itself off when not moving, and the electric motor helps start it again.
:huh: Umm, wouldn't that just be a glorified starter?

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
no worste than my little 2.4 twincam getting 19mpg someimes :eek:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Originally posted by n2_space@Jun 18 2004, 12:35 PM
Hybrid technology, GM-style: instead of a sedan or compact getting 60 mpg, Chevrolet introduces later this year the Silverado hybrid, delivering a stunning 18 mpg combined, up from 16 mpg combined from the non-hybrid 1500. Unlike other manufacturers' hybrid implementations, the Siverado's electric motor does not directly drive the wheels; rather, the 5.3l gasoline engine shuts itself off when not moving, and the electric motor helps start it again.

FORD >>>>>>> Chevy
And what's the sticker price for that Chevy Silverado "hybrid?"

Jeez, man! You could get that kind of improved milage on a regular Silverado by switching the motor oil over to Amsoil!

A 2 MPG improvement .... how pathetic!

When it comes to hybrids, Toyota, Honda, and Ford are WAY ahead of everyone else. However, I'm not sold on the benefits of hybrids. I'll wait until the advent of hydrogen-cell cars before I'm ever convinced that truly economical green cars are really here.

Hybrids may save you on gas, but maintenance will be more expensive as batteries must be replaced at intervals, and the cost of such service is expected to be in excess of a couple of thousand dollars.

I'd rather keep my Taurus and spend the money on repairing the transmission when it croaks again than buy a hybrid. - Reinhart

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Reinhart@Jun 18 2004, 07:43 PM
Hybrids may save you on gas, but maintenance will be more expensive as batteries must be replaced at intervals, and the cost of such service is expected to be in excess of a couple of thousand dollars.
Ford offers, I believe, an 8 year/100k mile warranty on the Hybrid Escape, including batteries. B)

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by jason8225+Jun 18 2004, 09:34 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jason8225 @ Jun 18 2004, 09:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Reinhart@Jun 18 2004, 07:43 PM
Ford offers, I believe, an 8 year/100k mile warranty on the Hybrid Escape, including batteries. B) [/b][/quote]
I believe the 8/100k is only on the batteries (or system), not the whole car.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by n2_space+Jun 18 2004, 10:59 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (n2_space @ Jun 18 2004, 10:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2004, 09:34 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Reinhart
@Jun 18 2004, 07:43 PM

Ford offers, I believe, an 8 year/100k mile warranty on the Hybrid Escape, including batteries. B)
I believe the 8/100k is only on the batteries (or system), not the whole car. [/b][/quote]
I think you're right. Although, I think they upped the "standard" bumper-to-bumper warranty to like 4/48k, and I think the entire "hybrid system" gets the longer warranty, if I'm not mistaken. I'll try to find the article that had the warranty information. :)

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Originally posted by n2_space@Jun 18 2004, 01:35 PM

FORD >>>>>>> Chevy
OMG, all my cars are hybrids then! Well, except that I have to turn the key to shut the engine off, and turn it again so the electric motor would start the gas engine. Guess it isn't as advanced as a GM hybrid. <_< :huh: :p

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Maybe this is like the special dodge truck (Contractor's special), where the "hybrid" electric motor is just a generator that pretty much turns the truck into a generator. I bet the gas efficiency is just a side product of having the electric motor in there. (Although dodge gets an increase up to 18 from 12)

It'll be sad if they actually market it as a full hybrid, though :lol2:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Originally posted by biteableniles@Jun 18 2004, 11:13 PM
Maybe this is like the special dodge truck (Contractor's special), where the "hybrid" electric motor is just a generator that pretty much turns the truck into a generator. I bet the gas efficiency is just a side product of having the electric motor in there. (Although dodge gets an increase up to 18 from 12)

It'll be sad if they actually market it as a full hybrid, though  :lol2:
That's exactly what the Silverado Hybrid is, a contractor/work truck with a built in generator for tools. The main goal of the system is to use the gas motor to progressively recharge the electric generator and allow workers to plug in their electric tools and use them immediately without fuss. I remember it can power tools for about 11 hours before the juice is gone. The gas milage increase is just a side benefit of the electric generator's motor working with the gas motor.

It seems GM is more into cylinder deactivation for passenger vehicles than other companies, so the gas-saving technology GM would use for something like a Malibu should be cylinder deactivation and mostly likely not electric hybrid.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
It's just strange that they market it as a hybrid. Also, wouldn't that cause a lot of useless wear and tear on the motor starting and stopping so often? After all, starting a motor is probably one of the biggest strains you can put on it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I haven't really looked at this thing too closely, but I love the idea. I don't think you guys are looking at this thing's potential.

You have your standard gasoline engine there, and it's supplemented by this electric motor/generator/brake/starter thing. So, you have the standard performance of a regular gas truck (that is carrying several hundred extra pounds), plus an electric motor to provide extra boost. If the electric motor can provide enough power to compensate for the extra weight that it adds, you potentially have a faster vehicle.

The electric motor also doubles as a generator, so that you can recharge your batteries and get this boost more than once. The recharging can happen during braking, when the generator will be actually taking some or all of the load off your brake pads (which are a huge energy loss in a normal car/truck). The fact that you are reclaiming some of the energy needed to slow your vehicle just adds to the efficiency. Of course you could also be using the generator to power a camp/worksite if you want. I think that is a cool feature.

Chevy is using this tecnology to try to get better fuel mileage. Shutting the engine off at a light is a good idea, and probably saves a lot of fuel. Since electric motors have all their torque at nearly 0 rpm, it probably doesn't have any trouble getting the truck moving and starting the motor at the same time. For a regular acceleration from a stoplight, that is. But, for best performance it may be best to have your gas engine running already. If Chevy does not provide for that, you can be sure that someone like Alberto from AM.com will find a mod that takes care of it.

I had posted something on TCCA along these lines for a Taurus. Something that an average mechanic could pull off. Instead of the electric motor in between the motor and trans, I would put 1 or 2 motors driving/braking the rear wheels. Mine was oriented toward the inermittent boost you could get, and not toward gas mileage (which would likely be worse in mine, because I'd be looking for extreme performance instead of efficiency). Nobody really liked my idea much. I was a bit surprised. It was a big project, but not much bigger than an auto trans to manual swap, IMHO. I thought it was worth talking about anyway. I'll probably never tackle such a thing. I would love to have seen someone else take the ball and run.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Well regardless of how "cool" it is I will never buy one. I'm sure it's more than a regular silverado and a 2mpg increase doesn't warrant the extra price. It would probably take several years to make up the difference. MOST of these that are sold WILL NOT ever see the dirt of a construction site. It's pointless.

Now the Escape Hybrid...THATS cool. Nearly 40mpg city...and the engine is COMPLETELY SILENT up to 25MPH under normal acceleration! All of this in an SUV that still can go off-roading and carry your junk. I want to buy one but...got an Expedition instead.

-Kyle

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well, the Escape is the same idea, just in a package that is more attractive to you apparently. The problem with the Escape is, instead of giving you a decent sized gas engine to boost with electric. They give you a ho-hum sized engine and boost it with electric.

My point was, I had this basic idea a long time ago. So Ford and Chevy can both suk me baws! Woo hoo! Ya for me. :banana:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts