Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i just put some chevron techron full synthetic fuel treatment in my car. is that a good brand? the guy at autozone recommended it...and i bit, for $6. did i waste my money?

input would be great. thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
It was only $6??? When I buy it, it's $13 or better a bottle, and this is from more than one shop.

I really like this stuff. I used it every 6K and it seems to clean everything out. I went once 12K without using it, and when I put it in and ran it through a full tank, the car was noticably peppier and quicker off the line. This product has been recommended to me by many big-time car guys and I've always had great luck with it.

JR

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats good to hear. yeah, it's only $5.99 for a bottle here. it says to add to nearly empty tank and refill up to 12 gallons. last night i ran my car down to E with the fuel light on for like twenty minutes. the car was almost sputtering when i pulled in, and i put 5 gallons of gas on top of it. i heard somewhere that the more concentrated it is, the better it works. is that true?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Originally posted by LoadedLX@Aug 22 2004, 09:14 AM
thats good to hear. yeah, it's only $5.99 for a bottle here. it says to add to nearly empty tank and refill up to 12 gallons. last night i ran my car down to E with the fuel light on for like twenty minutes. the car was almost sputtering when i pulled in, and i put 5 gallons of gas on top of it. i heard somewhere that the more concentrated it is, the better it works. is that true?
I added 2 bottles to my tank the other week when I filled up. I believe that it will work better when it's less diluted by all that gas.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I don't know if you should be putting that much in at a time. THere's a reason that the bottle is a certain size and a reason why you add it to that much gasoline. Putting more in isn't necessarily good. In fact, it could be really bad for your engine. That stuff is a corrosive, and it can eat through rubber hoses, thin metals etc. One bottle is enough.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Aug 21 2004, 11:54 PM
It was only $6???  When I buy it, it's $13 or better a bottle, and this is from more than one shop.
Wha?! :blink: Are you talking about the Techron concentrate? AutoZone and PepBoys usually carry the 12-oz bottles for $6 or so (my latest A/Z receipt shows $5.99), and the 20-oz. bottles for about $9. Are you buying a 2-pack or something? :headscratch:

Of course, that only goes in the SLO. I add about a quart of toluene to every fill-up in the SHO.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@Aug 22 2004, 10:12 AM
Of course, that only goes in the SLO. I add about a quart of toluene to every fill-up in the SHO.
mmmm toulene...

:notworthy:

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Toluene is an aromatic solvent used commonly as paint thinner. It is similar in chemistry to benzene, and it is one of the major additives in pump gas. With an octane rating of 114 (R+M/2), it is a good octane booster, and in fact most OTC octane boosters are nothing more than toluene, mineral spirits, and occasionally alcohol and other additives.

Don't buy OTC octane boosters unless you have a serious allergy to money. In fact, if you do, I can help you with that. :) Even the strongest octane boosters at the local parts store will only raise the octane rating of a tank of gas by 10 points or so, and will cost you at least $5. Keep in mind that a "point" in octane rating is equal to 0.10 octane numbers. So $5+ may net you a gain of 1 full octane number.

Toluene is available in gallon containers for $6-10, depending on where you get it. I picked up a gallon at the local Sherwin-Williams paint store for $9.12. If you buy it in larger containers from chemical suppliers it is substantially cheaper, but that's not practical for me.

Boosting your octane will likely do nothing for performance unless you run forced induction or abnormally high compression and/or excessive timing advance. I use toluene to boost my octane because the timing advance on my Apten chip seems to leave my engine right on the verge of getting knocky with 93 octane on a hot day in stop and go traffic (lots of heat soak.) With 93 octane pump gas, it feels like the PCM is pulling a bit of my timing advance (retarding the timing) under these conditions. If it's convenient, I often try to fill up with 94 octane, since it only costs about $2 more for a full tank. There isn't always a Sunoco station handy when I get down around E though.

I also occasionally add a dash of kerosene or diesel/home oil to the mix to keep the injectors, fuel tract, and lower intake tract a little cleaner.

The only real possible disadvantage to using toluene as an additive is that long term use of HIGH doses (like 10% concentration or more) may eventually foul your O2 sensors. This is just something I've heard, and I haven't seen proof of it. The health risks of handling toluene are minimal if you use it responsibly. I keep the toluene at home and add it to the tank after filling up. It assimilates very well with gasoline, so there is no reason to "stir it up" by adding it before pumping in the gas.

Keep in mind, the SLO and most cars will not see improved performance even on mid-grade or premium pump gas. Use increased octane only if you have a need for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts