Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow... as an x-ray tech I deal with radition on a daily basis and I found this to be an interesting website.

This person takes trips to Chernobyl to take pictures of the Ghost Town that is left behind. Some of the pictures are beautiful and disturbing at the same time. Plus the person behind the camera is chick that rides an 1100cc Kawasaki Ninja... how cool is that?!?!

Check it out. There about 26 pages.

Ghost Town

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I hate Chernobyl; stupid engineers caused the entire world to freak out over the safest form of energy availabe.

Interesting site, btw. Thanks for sharing, I had a magazine with pictures (small) a while ago that really picqued my curiousity, so this is awesome

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Originally posted by biteableniles@Apr 8 2004, 01:12 AM
I hate Chernobyl; stupid engineers caused the entire world to freak out over the safest form of energy availabe.

Interesting site, btw. Thanks for sharing, I had a magazine with pictures (small) a while ago that really picqued my curiousity, so this is awesome
you should be helping beef with his HW.
I am off to bed. Good luck. I need to wake up at 6 AM

good night

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by biteableniles@Apr 8 2004, 01:12 AM
Nuclear is the safest, eh?

What about solar, wind, or geothermal energy?

Wait, im a stupid engineer! That just makes my words null and void, right?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Safest for the amount of power generated. The chemicals needed to make solar panels are insane, and the overall total power gained is almost laughable (at the moment). Wind is unsightly (something I disagree with, but it seems to be the concensus) and geothermal is far from being anywhere near competitive to the major power generators.

No, anyway, I meant among the major power sources, like oil and coal. A coal plant puts out more polution (both radiation and other) in the surrounding area than a nuclear power plant, and handling oil is just plain nasty. Current nuclear power plants also incorporate designs that almost make it impossible for a melt down to occur; even if a major meltdown did occur again, anyway, (har) the environmentalists would be happy, because it seems like nature is thriving in Chernobyl anyway, eh?

And, btw, How the HECK did you take offense to my stupid engineer comment? That was totally targeted towards the idiots that destroyed Chernobyl. Btw, I'm an aspiring mechanical engineer.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
No need to get pissy now. I just found your assertion of nuclear energy as being the safest rather humorous. My post was laden with sarcasm, if you couldnt tell

As far as you aspiring to be an engineer, if you can make it thru the first 2 years, youll be fine. It helps to attend a small school with small class sizes as well. Stay away from the wild parties and such, too. Dance with a chili instead

-DC

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Yeah, I really should have been more specific, as in "we're screwing ourselfs less with nuclear power"
Safe is a relative term, although I really do think we'd be worse off if we had current solar powerplants powering most of the world. (or, hehe, think about the amount of windtowers that would be needed to power an average city
)

I'm not a partier anyway, except for LAN's. Having one this weekend

Back on topic -- these pictures get better and better as I look at them. Thanks again, spridget!

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
True. You usually dont see pictures from these distances, unless they are in full protective gear while taking them.

This girl has balls - large brass ones. You couldnt pay me enough to get as close as she did in some of them.

PBS (public broadcasting) has an entire site dedicated to the Chernobyl accident. I dont recall the link but it was equally as intriguing, but more factual than documentarial (is that a word?).

-DC

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
WOW! That was amazing.... I definitely give that lady her props on that...... I think I would check it out of given the chance.....

·
Registered
511 Posts
wow thats insane...besides the fact that girls on bikes are hot...

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
That was sad reading and looking through that. Knowing that something like that happened doesnt really strike you until you see pictures or are observing it from close up...thats really the only time you can actually have a sense of what went on. The weird thing is...that I do believe that all the kids born in 1986 in other parts of Europe were affected by the radiation because I wear glasses, mario got sick, my cousin wears glasses and so do many of his friends...Its just a thought but I have not really looked into it yet..however I think a friend of my sisters has. Kinda scary...

~Marley

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wow! That was something. I was born in Ukraine in 1986. I lived about 1000 miles from chernobyl in a city called kharkov. I dunno how long I lived there with my parents. But all i know is we moved to Canada in 1991. So i must have lived there before 1991. I seem fine and normal, thank god. Maybe ill grow 5 arms in the future.
That truely amazing of her tho. Wouldnt all that radiation affect her tho. Like walking inside of the wooden homes?? She does ahve balls!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts