Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still trying to diagnose an intermittent overheating problem.
Has anyone tried sending a coolant sample to a lab?
They claim they can detect combustion contaminates (probable head gasket problem)
As well as local "hotspots" not sure how they can do that.
And other relevant information about the coolant.
There is a lab in Wisconsin called Trico that provides these services.
Anyone used them?
how effective is thr analysis?
how much does it cost?
Thanks, all help is apprecited, John Kenneth

·
Registered
22,744 Posts
Dunno. To test for the presence of combustion gases in the coolant, you can get a dye additive kit at most parts stores.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Amazon sells a kit to detect exhaust gasses in the coolant (leaky head gasket). If the overheat is intermittent, I would be swapping out thermostats first, if that does not fix it do a FnF. If it still exists look at bad radiator hoses. The collapse at high speed stopping coolant flow.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sticking thermostat? I removed it on our 99 Vulcan, takes a few minutes more to warm up to normal operating temperature but we live in a warm clime. With no thermo in there you never need to worry about a stuck thermo blowing the head gasket either.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Make sure your cooling fans are turning on, I had a Continental that was giving my kid living 15 hours away during an internship intermittent overheating issues. A guy that worked with him took a look and found that was his problem. It was fine as long as he was moving along with airflow...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe blackstone laboratories will test coolant as well. They send you collection supplies for free and you only pay after you send it in for testing.

I’m not sure about coolant but the oil samples at $28.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
you could also do a pressure test to make sure it holds.
i had a 97 overheating and it had a freeze plug leak.
if it wont hold pressure in the cooling system it can over heat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts