Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
14,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after having my brother call me and tell me that his Grand Marquis wasn't shifting back into park I went to look at it. There are 2 T30 bolts that hold the end of the shifter cable to the shifter 'rod'. One of them was laying on the carpet and the other was 1/2 out.

After fixing it I decided to look at my Sable and Windstar because Ford used that design on MANY if not all of their cars, vans and trucks. The top bolt was loose on both cars, and the lower one was loose on the Sable. I tightened them up for safe keepings but it's definately worth a look on your cars as a 'preventative maintenance' item. It took all of 5 minutes with a T30 torx bit, and a short extension. Here's a video I found on youn00b that shows the bolts. It's the same in the Sable and the Windstar.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,769 Posts
Probably the best tip of the week. Nice find!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
^Word!

And WOW did Ford build those Excursions CHEAP. That dash sounds like a rubbermaid storage container!

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,769 Posts
Just adding something for those wanting to check this, and who don't have a T-30 Torx bit in your toolbox (shame on you) - in a pinch, a 5/32" or 4mm Allen wrench will work. Don't get cute trying to tighten the bolts down too tight this way, but if you're desperate - it'll do the trick.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,769 Posts
Pshaw, of course I have. But - while I was photographing the lock area of a spare column I happened to think of this thread, and that some people are Saturday-afternoon mechanics. So, this is for them. I have everything from T-10 up to T-50, not to mention the jeweler's mini-Torx set I use for computer repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks sousa. I was just investigating a rattle coming from the column on my parents 2001 Sable, noise would go away if you pushed on the shifter forward. I'll check to see if there are any missing bolts..

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Or ........look mom no shifter! Sorry Sousa I have been dying to say that for 4 days. My inner mechanic needed to see how all these parts worked came together. Independent study or Crash course in shiftology.

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or ........look mom no shifter! Sorry Sousa I have been dying to say that for 4 days. My inner mechanic needed to see how all these parts worked came together. Independent study or Crash course in shiftology.
Good add! This way everyone can see exactly how the shifter is in the column and how it works.

I wish I didn't have that in my car(want a floor shift) but I work with what I have for now..... :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the great tip. My shifter has been sloppy for awhile, just figured some parts had worn over the car's 16 years. I read your post and looked under the dash. One bolt was about to drop on the floor, and the other one was real loose. 10 minutes later and it shifts like new.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Anyone know how to repair a 95 Sable console shifter that just spins around but it does shift the tranny? It has always been hard to shift in the 19 months Ive had it and guess I snapped something plus the low gear indicator is too low and sometimes its hard to select that gear.

Geoff

·
Registered
10,032 Posts
Just adding something for those wanting to check this, and who don't have a T-30 Torx bit in your toolbox (shame on you) - in a pinch, a 5/32" or 4mm Allen wrench will work. Don't get cute trying to tighten the bolts down too tight this way, but if you're desperate - it'll do the trick.
I found this at Lowes, some special advertised. Really nice, maybe $10. I'm sure they do this to get you in the door, not to make money selling this kind of thing. I do not expect to need a "spline" but it did not have a straight blade. I removed something I never expect to need and put one in. The quality looks top notch.

As to shifter, my last used, Sable bought July, the shifter was loose, bulbs burned out, and the flag broken. Trash down inside that. To the JY and got a good flag and also found a nice Lin Cont leather wrapped knob. And it was held on with Phillips not the tiny torx of the Sable.

Only downside to the Kobalt. The bits are held in the rached by magnets. Drop the rachet in your tool box and it attracts things. :p

-chart-

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,057 Posts
Anyone know how to repair a 95 Sable console shifter that just spins around but it does shift the tranny? It has always been hard to shift in the 19 months Ive had it and guess I snapped something plus the low gear indicator is too low and sometimes its hard to select that gear.

Geoff
Sounds like something broke. May want to pull it apart and look. A replacement shifter assembly shouldn't be too hard to source from a junkyard.

·
Administrator
14,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today I helped one of the mom's on my daughter's softball team get her SuperDuty started because of this issue. The truck did not start because even though the shifter was in 'park' the transmission was still in reverse. Jammed the shifter up just enough to get it started for them but said they have to tighten those T30 bolts down. It's nice to know things, cause I saved her a ton being it's a newer Superduty that is sitting on a 10" lift. Would have cost a fortune to tow it.

It's a good and free thing that takes all of 5 minutes to check. I would suggest doing it to anyone with a Ford. It'll save you in the future, so take this as a 'bump' for the new members that have not seen this yet.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've tightened mine.

While it's better, it kinda binds a bit, sometimes getting stuck between R and N, resulting in no drive.

Any rubber bushings to replace? Sleeved cables to lube?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've tightened mine.

While it's better, it kinda binds a bit, sometimes getting stuck between R and N, resulting in no drive.

Any rubber bushings to replace? Sleeved cables to lube?
If you have tightened the 2 T30 bolts on the gear shift bracket and its still loose then more likely the 2 bushing have come out or wore out. Ill look for the video I used to replace mine and post it up.

Here it is

Watch "Repairing a sloppy Automatic shifter in a Ford Ex…" on YouTube
Repairing a sloppy Automatic shifter in a Ford Ex…: https://youtu.be/LP6RQ-MVX_0

·
Registered
10,032 Posts
If you have console shifter, it would be a good idea to take it apart every 100K and clean out the old french fries.

Tighten the bolts, light lube on the shift detents.
On mine the torx bolts were about to fall out and the orange flag broken, bulbs burned out. Position flag from the JY and Lin Cont shift kob leather, and the Lin uses allen screws rather than torx.

Tight bolts, lube detents, and it is much better.
I like the feel of the leather but that is just me. ;)

-chart-

1 - 20 of 20 Posts