Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I'll try to keep this short...on my way home from a trip my info area beeped and said check transmission..this was also after some rain...so I check the fluid etc and everything seems fine..restart and the info area no longer says that...but a 100 miles latter it comes back...I then realize the tcc was not locking up..I make it home and pull off the TRM and main harness connectors and spray them out with WD-40....I had replaced the TRM earlier this year and remembered not liking how the connector went back on...also my power windows stopped working for a couple mins a week before my trip. Everything seems fine now I can't get it to misbehave and if anything it's shifting better then ever. I now would like to get the tranny serviced. The car has about 90k miles on it and I can't decide if I should just drop the pan and change fluid or if I should have my dealership flush and change filter...they want 200 bucks for the service. Any advice?? This is a 2005 with the Vulcan.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
hey you checked for codes? have you looked at the vss with a scan tool?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as I can tell the TRM is adjusted correctly, I don't think the connector was seated all the way and moisture got in. I have not checked for codes or the VSS however my speedo has never acted up.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
If your dealer is changing 100% (well, as much as possible) of the trans fluid and dropping the pan & installing a new filter, $200 is a fair price for someone to do it. I just changed mine when I added my gen2 trans cooler. Autozone has Merkin V @ $4.99 a qt (you need 12 qts) and the filter is $17.99. You can re-use the pan gasket. Your looking at just under $100 for parts alone when you figure in tax. For me, I prefer to do the work myself, but it is a messy job and you need the car up in the air to do this. If they are only dropping the pan, changing the filter and topping the fluid off, its a rip for $200.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts