Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my way home tonight from work , i was doing like 70 mph and my car felt like it was starting to slow down even when i stepped more on gas pedal. i already have a check engine lite on for random misfire, and it was flashing about 4 times before it stopped flashing.. check trans fluid and its fine .... this message ramdomly comes up now on a now and then basis... do i need to have computer codes read, then clear computer ???? is this a typical problem with 2006 taurus cars ???? i bought it with 112, 000 & its currently at 217 & some change. i only had the car since 2012. please reply asap , if you can

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
You need to have the codes read and post what specific code you are getting in order to get an accurate 'diagnosis'. If you are running around on a misfire(indicated by the flashing CEL) that's an easy way to destroy a catalytic converter. Trans fluid isn't going to cause a misfire. Check the misfire sticky in this section http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/173490-how-understand-diagnose-misfires.html after you get the codes read and see where you need to go from there. It can be something simple as a coil/plugs/wires(most likely) to something as complex as the head gasket, which is also a failure point for the Vulcan.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Random misfires are usually caused by a vacuum leak. Vacuum leaks will allow un-metered air to enter the engine and throw off the mixture of fuel and air, creating a lean condition. Lean conditions can cause a decrease of acceleration and power.

My guess is that you pressed down on the gas pedal to accelerate and the car wasn't responding well, so you pushed the pedal down farther, causing the engine to rev higher than normal in order to accelerate. This may have caused the PCM to think something was wrong with the transmission (as if you were in a lower gear) and stored a DTC.

I would first start by checking for vacuum leaks, especially if engine performance and gas mileage is poor. If you have a scan tool, check what codes have been stored for both the engine and the transmission and let us know so we can further help you.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Get the codes read first. Driving around with misfires will cost you way more than fixing it now.
You only have put on 100k miles since you got it !!!!, that's the life of a tune up, get the codes read. Don't kill a good car over what may be simple maintenance or a minor repair job. That is unless you are rolling in dough.
25k a year is a lot of miles, way more than normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts