Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I see Ford finally deceided to make a website for the car. Have to say Escape sounds like a great vehicle. I got a friend in VA with an Escape XLT with Duratec and loves driving it. Hybrid has got to be even better.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It would be even more efficient with a diesel. Plus diesel fuel is cheaper than even regular and the diesel is a tried and proven form of engine. Hybrid technology is still very new.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by TheGreatPoo@Jun 7 2004, 07:02 PM
It would be even more efficient with a diesel. Plus diesel fuel is cheaper than even regular and the diesel is a tried and proven form of engine. Hybrid technology is still very new.
Yeah, Ford is developing a 6 cylinder diesel as well. I don't think it's going into the Escape though. I think it's for the Explorer, Expedition and F-150. B)

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:bowdown: toyota hybrid technology @ a ford price

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by XLSuruaT@Jun 7 2004, 07:47 PM
watch out though... ford and toyota did a technology/knowledge exchange on this deal...

look forward to american built toyotas in the near future...and theyll be cheaper.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Originally posted by afi292+Jun 7 2004, 07:16 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (afi292 @ Jun 7 2004, 07:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-XLSuruaT@Jun 7 2004, 07:47 PM
watch out though... ford and toyota did a technology/knowledge exchange on this deal...

look forward to american built toyotas in the near future...and theyll be cheaper. [/b][/quote]
It's the Ford part of this equation that worries me... :eek: :lol:

But with this vehicle being so widely publicized, Ford had better get it right!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bah, HEV's. Yeah, you'll get some extra fuel mileage out of them but still, HEV's are toys and not really a viable solution in the long run. After about five years the battery packs have to be replaced, the cars are underpowered (yes, I know it has two powerplants, but sum != whole), only a few "certified" techs will be able to work on it (expensive repairs), fewer techs will be able to diagnose and fix the electric powertrain (more replacements for those things == higher costs), and so on and so forth.

I'm not saying that this won't be a nifty car. It will be, but it probably won't have the juice that a normal Escape will have.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by beefstu01@Jun 8 2004, 12:51 AM
Bah, HEV's.  Yeah, you'll get some extra fuel mileage out of them but still, HEV's are toys and not really a viable solution in the long run.  After about five years the battery packs have to be replaced, the cars are underpowered (yes, I know it has two powerplants, but sum != whole), only a few "certified" techs will be able to work on it (expensive repairs), fewer techs will be able to diagnose and fix the electric powertrain (more replacements for those things == higher costs), and so on and so forth.

I'm not saying that this won't be a nifty car.  It will be, but it probably won't have the juice that a normal Escape will have.
It comes with a 7 year 100k warranty and that the power output is nearly identical to the Duratec Escape ;) B)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey, I work on an HEV now, and they're quite unpredictable, that warranty could come in handy ;). Granted Ford has hundreds of engineers on this, and my team has but thirty. Ford has worked on their Escape for five or six years now, and this is our fourth semester working on ours, so theirs will be a bit better quality...

See, the cool theoritical thing about HEV's is that they'll have oodles of power all over. Electric motors produce their max torque down low, up high the engine takes over. In practice this doesn't happen because you keep on having to regen the pack, which drains power from your engine, etc...

Also, the batteries in HEV's just suck (doesn't matter which type, all batteries suck). Plain and simple. Methinks that the manufacturers are learning to use electirc motors well just in time for fuel cells.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think Ford actually gave up on the original hybrid system in the Escape. Ford was working on it for a while and displayed it in shows and such... and then it dropped the development for the system it bought from Toyota.

I read there are various new ways to get juice to the batteries now. Doesn't Chevy's hybrid truck motor regens the batteries only when the car is slowing down? And I read that Lexus RX400h uses friction from the brakes?

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far from what I have read, the current hybrids are holding up well. I dont see the ford one being any different.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by civicex@Jun 8 2004, 12:42 AM
I think Ford actually gave up on the original hybrid system in the Escape. Ford was working on it for a while and displayed it in shows and such... and then it dropped the development for the system it bought from Toyota.

I read there are various new ways to get juice to the batteries now. Doesn't Chevy's hybrid truck motor regens the batteries only when the car is slowing down? And I read that Lexus RX400h uses friction from the brakes?
In like 2001, Ford came out with the F-350 Tonka Hybrid concept, and it used a hydraulically driven hybrid system rather than an electric system. As the car was braking, it charged a hydraulic motor that was used on takeoff. IIRC, it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 Hp and 600 ft-lb of torque. Pretty mean if you ask me.

Here is the link: Ford Tonka

The engine had all kinds of cool technology in it, like the Electronic Variable Response Turbocharging (EVRT) system. It basically optimizes the turbo to work at all rpm levels to provide optimal boost pressure.

JR

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Originally posted by rsgnome+Jun 7 2004, 10:12 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rsgnome @ Jun 7 2004, 10:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 7 2004, 07:16 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-XLSuruaT
@Jun 7 2004, 07:47 PM

look forward to american built toyotas in the near future...and theyll be cheaper.
It's the Ford part of this equation that worries me... :eek: :lol:

But with this vehicle being so widely publicized, Ford had better get it right! [/b][/quote]
If you look, a couple of cars and trucks from Toyota are already being built here...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts