Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't smoke, and wouldn't let anyone smoke in my car, so I thought of a better use for the ash tray...
http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=142822&toggle=fullsize&filename=switch-panel.jpg' alt='' width='508' height='381' class='attach' />[/url]
I designed and built this to fit in the fold-down ash tray behind the console shifter. It took quite a while to make it fit in perfect, but it was well worth it. It only cost me $15 to make (for the switches & LED's) because I had the piece of wood and paint just sitting in my garage (the wood is painted chrome to look like metal).

Here's what it looks like from the driver's seat:
[url=http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=142823&toggle=fullsize&filename=console%20switches.jpg][img]http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=142823&toggle=fullsize&filename=console%20switches.jpg' alt='' width='458' height='610' class='attach' />[/url]
The 3 toggle switches currently aren't hooked up to anything but power and ground to make them light up. I plan to use the red one for a radar detector, and the blue one for interior neons that I'll get in the future. The green one I don't have any plans for...yet. The push-button switch connects the amp turn-on wire to my subwoofer amp. If you look below the button on the first pic, you can see the yellow LED that turns on when the amp should be on.
On the second pic, if you look to the left of the console near the floor, you can see another toggle switch with a racing cover on it. That switch is a "master-arm", if you will, for the other switches (except the amp turn-on), so I can shut them all of at once if necessary. And, when I fold it back up, nobody knows it's there :ph34r:

Well, what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Thats sweet. I took a piece of aluminum, bent it, put the 3 switches (amp, fog, future), and screwed under the steering wheel. Only I know they are there, but doesn't look as good as yours.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I was looking do something similar, nice to see someone did it! Mind giving me some tips? I Wanna put one for the fogs, neons, and amp (power on wire)

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Great use for the ash tray. I use mine to store my business cards and parking pass.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
yeah..i use mine for business cards too... used to use it for the occasional cigar, but i gave that up, i like a clean smelling ride....i feel good when a girl gets in and goes "wow it smells good in here" lol. A while back i had a crazy idea to wire logitech 5.1 speakers into my car....I was gonna put all the controls in there.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. It's made of 1/2" plywood. I started off just taking some basic measurements to get about the right size, then I made a cardboard template that fit in the ash tray. From there, I cut out the panel and used my Dremel to sand down the edges until it fit perfectly.

Edit:
Here's a pic I just uploaded of them lit up. You can also see a red LED above the CD player that turns on when I turn on the "master-arm" switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Looks pretty good. Nice and clean.

That"s about what I had in mind for when I put the nitous on. Hide the controls in the ash try.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts