Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yellow warning light to check engine came on. It stayed on for a few minutes then went out. Came on again a few minutes later then out again. Hasn't lit in a week or so. What could that mean? How do I check for a problem?

Got a 94, taurus wagon, 3.8, 101,000 miles on it. Been a good car. Never had any problems with it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Be sure to write down the codes and you can post them here. We can then assist you further. Welcome to the club!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Let me also welcome you to the club.

As was said, you can head to Autozone, and they will scan the codes for free. You can also search the internet for explanations of the codes. The People here are also very helpful when it comes to figuring out how to rectify the situation.

JR

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Welcome to the club! I've heard that AutoZone won't check older cars. But that might vary depending on the store.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
One thing with the description of the symptom you've provided is that with an intermittent check engine light is that the problem might be difficult to detect. It's much easier if you can have it checked while the light is still on...

That said, the check engine light being lit can signal a zillion different problems, but one of the most common is this: you've got a 100k on a 3.8L V6, have you had to replace the head gasket yet? (consider yourself lucky :D if you've made it this far without this problem - your original question says you've never had any problems...)

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Sep 28 2004, 06:14 PM
Welcome to the club! I've heard that AutoZone won't check older cars. But that might vary depending on the store.
The '94 Taurus has an OBD-I diagnostic port. Autozone should definitely have a tester for it. If not, you can always look up the procedure to pull the codes for an OBD-I car in the sticky on the top of the maintenence forum.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Sep 28 2004, 07:14 PM
I think they only have the scanner for OBD-II equiped cars which was standardized in 1996 so all 1996+ cars have them. Prior to that there were different scanners for different makes and it makes it kinda hard to keep track of them all. I suppose it's possible that they may have something for older cars, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
my local AZ says they only check 96 and newer, but call them anyway.
first thing i would do for ch eng lite is run a can of techron-chevron
fuel inj cleaner thru it. it is a miracle healer of unexplained car problems.
good luck, dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts