Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation to mine.

My CEL comes on, and will stay on till it disappears over a week or two, or I disconnect the battery for 20min. to clear the code. My mechanic has dumped the codes and got one. It was "right bank running lean", but he said the O2 checked out fine and no problem and cleared the code.
This has been happening over the past 3 years in certain situations.

The CEL light only comes on maybe twice a year, and it usual happens right after I fill the gas tank up, and when the weather changes like from the 60's and low humidity to '90's w/high humidity with a day or 2.
So it seems to be weather related and fuel related. Weird.

Any ideas what this could be?
I hate the idea of having my mechanic diagnose the car again for $100.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
If it's happening right after you fill the tank, are you making sure that the gas cap is all the way back on?

If the gas cap isn't one completely, the atmospheric pressure changes in the fuel tank and put the CEL on to warn you about something. Not sure where you live, but I live in Jersey, and when I first got my car, it was happening once a month because the attendants at the gas stations are retards that don't know how to screw a gas cap all the way on. Since I started pumping my own gas, it hasn't happened since.

About the code for your right bank running lean, that might be a separate issue altogether. In the future, take the car to Autozone, as they will check your codes for free, rather than spending $100 at the stealership...

JR

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in PA, so (self-serve) and the gap is on good. I make sure it clicks a few times. I also just got an emmisions check and it passed.

I just think my car is just fininky when it comes to gas and or weather, but it could be another sensor all together. Maybe a trip to autozone would be in order.

Car runs great otherwise and mileage is normal.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
You could buy the $39 code scanner at Harbor Freight and pull the codes yourself. In the mean time, take it to A/Z. :)

Now, for your problem... it seems you may have a slight fuel delivery problem. If you are mechanically inclined, you may want to try removing the fuel rail and injectors and soaking them for a few hours in a good cleaning solution, like Berryman's. While you are at it, replace the O-rings on the injectors.

If digging into your engine's mechanical parts sounds too risky for you, there are other options. Try adding a concentrated fuel injector cleaner like Techron or Seafoam to a tank of gas. It may work, it may not. If it doesn't, your only out $5 or so, and it takes minimal effort. Then you can take it to a mechanic and tell them you want your injectors and fuel rail cleaned, and new O-rings installed on the injectors (they should do that anyway when cleaning the injectors, but some don't.)

There are other possible reasons for your lean condition. Hopefully someone else here has had similar symptoms and can add more insight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts