1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 78K, the check engine light came on yesterday on my '04 SE with the 3.0.:(

The codes that come up are P0171 Fuel too Lean
and P2195. Indicating the same

THe parts store recommended 2 new O2 sensors. Haven't put them in yet.
Has anyone done this or have any advice? The area looks tight to work in.

Thanks
LUX MAN

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Which engine do you have (DOHC or OHV)?

So you have a bank 1 lean code, so check for vacuum leaks first on the rear bank. Vacuum leaks or leaky gaskets are much more likely cause than oxygen sensors.

Since the codes are for a single bank, at the most you would need one oxygen sensor. Parts store guys just want to sell parts, so don't always believe what they say.

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
99% chance the problem is NOT the O2 sensor. What order did the codes show up in? The codes come out in the order they were stored. I assume the 174 came out first? If so, you likely have a huge vac leak on bank 2 (radiator side bank).

Remember the people at the parts store are NOT MECHANICS, they are sales clerks, and often know less about cars than my wife does, which is next to nothing.

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
^^^^ I cant read..... :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The 171 code came out first. I will look over the hoses. any tips on how to spot it? It is a single OHV

More info. Today stopped at other location of same parts store. Asked them to erase codes. They did and said that a hose wont fix it. Have to change spark plugs and only then change O2 sensor. Same store change, 2 different opinions. Have done anything yet. Will go look over hoses today.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, Ya'll were right. Not the O2 sensors. It was a vac leak. THe Intake Manifold Running Control Motor is leaking and needs to be replaced as well as the Bottom Intake Manifold Plenum (sp) gasket.:(

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
Good to hear its fixed. Runner control gasket leak is a common problem on 04+ Vulcans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts