Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is '95 Taurus 3.8/AXOD:

Couple weeks ago the A/C compressor fried, so I removed it and put in a "bypass" idler pulley. Everything went back together fine and the car has run fine since then...

well, almost.

Since then, the [email protected]#$%^&* Check Engine Light keeps coming on at random times.

I know that the ECU would monitor the A/C compressor and adjust the idle if the A/C was on, but why does the ECU care if the compressor is there or not? Is there something I need to do to trick the ECU into thinking the A/C is still there?

I've taken the car to an Auto Zone and an Advance Auto parts, but neither one has the OBD-1 code reader. I haven't tried yet to jumper the plug and read the codes on the dash.

I repeat, nothing else was done to the car except the A/C compressor was removed, and the check engine light has been coming on at totally random times since then. It doesn't matter what time of day, what the ambient temp is, what the engine temp is, just whenever it wants to... and the car seems to be running fine.

Any ideas?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's a '95 ... easy to check engine codes ... code reader not needed.
I had a similar problem with my CEL. Turned out to be a vacuum hose that I had knocked off the cruise control canister. Gave an erroneous EGR code.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
It's a '95 ... easy to check engine codes ... code reader not needed.
I had a similar problem with my CEL. Turned out to be a vacuum hose that I had knocked off the cruise control canister. Gave an erroneous EGR code.
True, but a reader looks cooler than a paper clip...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts