Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if Fl Girl has the same kind of problem

Here goes what Hubby says
While driving my 1993 Mercury Sable the engine light comes on and the engine loses power like its running out of gas, I baby the accelerator to continue driving then the engine surges and starts running correctly and the engine light goes out. Then the engine light comes on and I lose power and this continues until I reach my destination. I back in thinking I will have to be tolled home, but after my stop I head for home and the engine light never comes back on and the engine runs perfect the 7 miles to the house. I did put some ejector cleaner in the gas tank the night before hoping that the problem will go away. The tech at AutoZone said to first try a tune up since the car has never had one since my Mother bought it in 1994. The oil has been changed on time with filter but the plugs have never been changed. I guess a tune up will be the cheapest first try before I go any further. Maybe plug wires should be replaced as a try to remedy the power failure.?????
Thanks
Jean

·
Registered
56 Posts
First thing first...

For the beginning, you have to read fault codes from on-board computer - if check engine light was on, codes have been stored in memory.
They will give you direction to dig further. 93 Taurus is equipped with EEC-IV diagnostic system, so codes may be retrieved with only paper clip, or analog voltmeter, or you may buy a simple scanner for around $30.

·
Registered
53 Posts
sounds very similar (and yes it's intermittent, I drove for miles before it acted up again). I've only had the car a month so I have no idea when the plugs were last changed. It's fairly inexpensive to get some plugs and wires (or coils?). And I was sitting here pondering and wondering about fuel pump and/or filter.

only difference is I dont get the engine symbol on the dash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all
Is it hard to change fuel filter???/ It is so hot here and humid. Dang summer LOL
Also the sales guy at AZ came out with his code scanner. Said his OB 2 model would not read codes under hood where the code plug is. The plug.is near the windshield. He said it looked melted. I belong to alldat, you know the self help paid membership parts and repair help?/ long membership, My dang laptop is acting up
Jean

·
Registered
56 Posts
Code reading

Please tell that guy from AZ that he is an idiot, because only idiot may try to read codes from Taurus 93 with OBD II scanner. OBD II has been introduced in 1994. Taurus 93 is equipped with EEC-IV diagnostic system and with that system you may read codes with piece of wire (or paperclip) and analog voltmeter or test light. Haynes manual has a description of that procedure, alldata may have it as well. Or, if you are as lazy as I am, you could buy a cheap scanner for $30 (I got it from Kragen Autoparts).

·
Registered
562 Posts
Maybe try a different auto parts store or go back when another person is working because they should be able to help you test the EEC-IV, they cover that in Engine Diagnostics 101 right after how to open the hood and identify the oil dipstick, hehe! I think it sounds like either a fuel filter or fuel pump. Good luck and let us know how you come out!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts

Here goes what Hubby says
While driving my 1993 Mercury Sable the engine light comes on and the engine loses power like its running out of gas, I baby the accelerator to continue driving then the engine surges and starts running correctly and the engine light goes out. Then the engine light comes on and I lose power and this continues until I reach my destination. I back in thinking I will have to be tolled home, but after my stop I head for home and the engine light never comes back on and the engine runs perfect the 7 miles to the house. I did put some ejector cleaner in the gas tank the night before hoping that the problem will go away. The tech at AutoZone said to first try a tune up since the car has never had one since my Mother bought it in 1994. The oil has been changed on time with filter but the plugs have never been changed. I guess a tune up will be the cheapest first try before I go any further. Maybe plug wires should be replaced as a try to remedy the power failure.?????
Thanks
Jean
Do you have transmission problems too? If so, then it could be the VSS. If not, it could be the fuel filter or maybe the fuel pump?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I really would like to say that I agree with all the heads up about getting a diagnostics/reading (find out what codes spew out) and then troubleshoot the problem. What you describe could be plugs, bad cylinder, coil, wires, IAC valve, or fuel filter, heck, it could be as simple as an air filter, but you won't know for sure unless you get it tested. And I knew a guy that had similiar problems and he just thought it was bad wires and it ended up being alternator and it just died on him and cost quite a bit to repair. He let it go and then he was driving one day and his steering seized up and he was stuck. He didn't get his car tested either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts