Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some check engine light issue on my 2002 Taurus. Couple of days ago, I turned on the engine and the car was shaking like crazy. The check engine light came on blinking. The mechanics people told me that it was "probably" a spark plug misfired. Well after replacing all the spark plugs, the car now sounds completely normal. However, like the mechanics people told me, the check engine light stayed lit. They said that the computer needs to be reset. Is there anyway to not take the car to them but reset the computer myself? Cuz the reset will have to come with a diagnostic check, which cost like 100 bucks.

Thanks for any suggestions

Yiran

·
Registered
355 Posts
Any AutoZone (or many similar places) will check codes and clear the CEL for free.

If there isn't an AZ convenient to you, usually after a few driving cycles (not sure how many...I think it's in the owner's manual) the light will go out on its own, once the PCM discovers that the original problem is gone and stays gone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You could also disconnect the battery for approximately 30 minutes. That resets the computer as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts