Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1997 Taurus GL (102,000 miles) Check Engine Code PO455 means to check the vacuum-based evaporative system. Where do I start? Gas Cap is cleaned and tight. Should I ask a repair shop to go down the list ? The car runs great and gets around 21 MPG.
1- Fuel Tank Pressure Transducer (FTPT),
2- Canister Vent Solenoid (CVS)
3- Fuel Level Input (FLI)
4- Vapor Management Valve (VMV) or Electric Vapor Management Valve (EVMV)

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
From the internet: P0455 is a fairly straight forward OBD-II trouble code, in that it tells us that the engine computer has detected a large leak in the engine Evaporative Emissions Control (EVAP) system. The EVAP system prevents fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere.

It can be a leak anywhere, I had one a pinhole leak gas filler tube due to rust and corrosion. They usually use a smoke machine to find such a leak.

·
Registered
10,764 Posts
From the internet: P0455 is a fairly straight forward OBD-II trouble code, in that it tells us that the engine computer has detected a large leak in the engine Evaporative Emissions Control (EVAP) system. The EVAP system prevents fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere.

It can be a leak anywhere, I had one a pinhole leak gas filler tube due to rust and corrosion. They usually use a smoke machine to find such a leak.
See pic. Common is rust areas.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
You could also double-check the EVAP hose at the back of the Upper Intake Manifold at the top of this picture.
Throttle-Side-1.jpg
For some mysterious reason I myself have the tendency to forget that hose after having taken off the UIM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts