Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i don't remember the code but it pointed at the fuel presser sensor changed that & found pump bad now with that changed car running still lite on but needs to pass inspection with lite off ! my guy says its an electrical issue & now needs expensive trace-sing to fix ok my question is can that lite be made to be shut off fo inspection ?? as the car runs fine ! but this god dam state need to check ok its a 2000 with the 24valve Thanks

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hello i don't remember the code but it pointed at the fuel presser sensor changed that & found pump bad now with that changed car running still lite on but needs to pass inspection with lite off ! my guy says its an electrical issue & now needs expensive trace-sing to fix ok my question is can that lite be made to be shut off fo inspection ?? as the car runs fine ! but this god dam state need to check ok its a 2000 with the 24valve Thanks
It would help tremendously to know what code it currently has and most states will know if you just clear the check engine light.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Remove the bulb or disable the light permanently, you can still plug in a scanner periodically to see what's going on.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
They plug in the OBDII port and see what is stored. Also if you have reset the light, it will tell them "not ready". Most states want the "drive cycle done first".
-chart-

·
Super Moderator
7,956 Posts
Here in southeast Wisconsin, as in many other states, they check to see if all the IM monitors are complete. Removing the CEL bulb will not allow the car to pass.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Remove the bulb or disable the light permanently, you can still plug in a scanner periodically to see what's going on.
What state do you live in?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would help tremendously to know what code it currently has and most states will know if you just clear the check engine light.
Ok wen it started & stalled my code checker said po 191 so changed presser sensor well it was not it ! fund it to be fuel pump took it to a place i can trust now there saying its a wire issue clicking lite on Now my inspection place on my other 05 taurus that has that how many miles to empty works them not work throws lite so he's for the last 3 years resets & pass it & first time it stops reading lite back on so i guess NY has not picked up on that ? so in both cases either effects emissions or MPGs so taking bulb out its still in the computer ? & would still be read as its connected to state computer This place as great reviews & it was a vintage car club members satisfy with work on modern cars too the guy who worked on my is in his early 30's unlike me in my upper 60s ! lol these are both wagons & handle incredibly well so like them but would rather work on 50s-70s cars lol Again thanks fo all the feed back

·
Registered
74 Posts
Confusion :rolleyes:
Hawaii. Fortunately, the Nazification of driving here is as yet incomplete, so we don't have to put up with such nonsense. And with the tourist industry collapsing due to C-virus the powers that be have more pressing things to worry about than check engine lights.
However, in the unlikely event that I can someday no longer keep my 20-year-old POS running I'll be checking out of the whole ICE scene and going EV.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Confusion :rolleyes:
Well yes i am confused too ! how something that does Not involve emissions !! is taking out these cars as i see less & less of them ! how one can be reset drive a 100 miles & it pass year after year & the other it won't reset so now will hope the shop can get lite off & cost big moneys or there is insp. stickers on CL but how / if they are legal ? or sell car to states with out this stupid inspection crap !! i like this 24Valve the other is base & no fun wen you really need the power !

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Drive cycle to make OBD ready for inspection. Needed after a code is reset, or battery has been disconnected. Not a big deal if followed. Have to watch for step 3. If it is cold outside you are out of luck. In, NY only safety and emissions will fail inspections.

OBD-II Monitor Exercised Drive Cycle Procedure
Drive Cycle Preparation
1. Idle vehicle for 15 seconds.
2 Drive at (40 MPH) until ECT is at least (170 F). .
3. Is Inlet Air Temp within (40 to 100 F)? If not stop here.
HEGO
4. Cruise at (40 MPH) for Up To 4 minutes. Executes the HEGO monitor.
EVAP
5 Cruise at (45 to 65 MPH) for 10 minutes (avoid sharp turns and hills) Gas tank ¼ to ¾ full.
Catalyst
6. Drive in stop and go traffic conditions. Include five different constant cruise speeds, ranging from (25 to 45 MPH) over a 10 minute period. Executes the Catalyst Monitor.

EGR
7. From a stop, accelerate to (45 MPH) at ½ to ¾ throttle. Repeat 3 times. Executes the EGR Monitor.

SEC AIR/CCM
(Engine)
8. Bring the vehicle to a stop. Idle with transmission in drive for 2 minutes. Executes the ISC portion of the CCM.

CCM (Trans Auto)
9. From a stop and in overdrive, moderately accelerate to (50 MPH) and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop vehicle and repeat without overdrive to (40 MPH) cruising for at least 30 seconds. While at (40 MPH), activate overdrive and accelerate to (50 MPH) and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop for at least 20 seconds and repeat step 9 five times. Executes the transmission portion of the CCM.

Misfire&Fuel Monitors
10. From a stop, accelerate to (65 MPH). Decelerate at closed throttle until (40 MPH) (no brakes). Repeat this 3 times. Allows learning for the misfire monitor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its just not NY they adopted CA that started all this & a few other states too at least you can drive a crappy totally unsafe car in CA as long as you pass emissions !! sad ! my friend from here has seen this for the last 30 years ! back to why this won't pass is even thro the parts were replace they say they can't get the lite out to run that test cycle to retest it ! as they are blaming a broken wire in the honest some where only can hope they can find it ? as i said i may have to sell it to a state with out this nonsense ! wish Tesla would make a wagon that one could afford !!?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Its just not NY they adopted CA that started all this & a few other states too at least you can drive a crappy totally unsafe car in CA as long as you pass emissions !! sad ! my friend from here has seen this for the last 30 years ! back to why this won't pass is even thro the parts were replace they say they can't get the lite out to run that test cycle to retest it ! as they are blaming a broken wire in the honest some where only can hope they can find it ? as i said i may have to sell it to a state with out this nonsense ! wish Tesla would make a wagon that one could afford !!?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes this would make more sense ! LOL with todays electric involvement in cars Ok up-date found & correct broken wire in harness & cleaned connections involved in running the fuel system i am lucky with all the work it was very reasonable but hinted that the age ( 2000 ) that more will still happen & how involved to do ball joints on these cars will be wen the time comes ! thats probably why i hardly see these group of cars on the road ! sad

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
At 20 years old you can expect some repairs. I have 3 G3 Bulls, 117K, 151K and 190K. The highest miles still on OE suspension and steering but when inspected, they said by next year one BJ will likely not pass. Sold it to family for a winter car and it will limp along until rust takes it out. 151k HAD BJ along with struts at 105K due to rusty springs. Inner BJ on driver's side and all rusty inside so it had been in water. FL car so likely salt water. 117K car all OE. All tight. So my experience not too much suspension. Key issue in rust belt is rust springs and break. Bad pavement, harsh driving, and water take a toll.
-chart-

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for that info. ok my car has 133k i am on LI NY and rarely drive in city it has typical rust but not bad i like this car for it incredible handing in a conservative practical wagon i sure the wagon balances out the weight so i tend to corner hard so this is the reason the guy that did the wirer work & inspection said soon i would need the BJs but since i do mechanic work on normal vintage cars said to drill and put grease fitings in will extend the life so hope this helps

·
Registered
280 Posts
I don't recommend drilling on ball joints or knuckle. The reason there are no grease zerks is because there is no room between balljoint and axle shaft CV joint. If you use moog or motorcraft parts, and install them with the proper press tool and specific adaptor, they will outlast your car. P.S. Don't cut the boot, It's fragile!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts