Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I have replaced belt, alternator, mega fuse, battery terminals,and my Check Charging System light is still on and only charging my battery at a 12.7. What do I need to do or check

·
Registered
2000 Taurus SES 12v
833 Posts
charging my battery at a 12.7
Which means it is not charging (otherwise it would be 14.5 V). Could be that the alternator is not fed with the right power for its rotor winding. On the 2000 model this is fuse 26 (30 A) in the engine compartment. Yours might be different. You could check the Owner's Manual (if you don't have it anymore, you can download it from Ford).

·
Registered
219 Posts
I know you said you replaced the ALT. Did you take the old one to a store to check it and confirm it was failing? Not a bad idea to have the new one tested before install also (i know, 20/20 hind sight vision)-- First thing I check is voltage being returned to to the alt...as mentioned it should be around 14v. I'd check all connectors, grounds,etc. You are going to eat through batteries until you fix this, so you may want to put battery on a trickle charge while working on this. I personally keep an extra ALT in my garage at all times (starter too) because they will always fail on a sunday afternoon...and cheap enough to inventory. If you didn't say that you 'just replaced alt' I would suspect the alt voltage regular. In fact, I believe that the volt regulartor on the 2000 is different from the 2001- 2007. Perhaps someone can confirm that. I don't want you to spin yoru wheels on that. I know they changed the post connector on the two models of alt.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hello everyone I have replaced belt, alternator, mega fuse, battery terminals,and my Check Charging System light is still on and only charging my battery at a 12.7. What do I need to do or check
What year? What motor. As you can read in other responses, year matters as to which alternator you need to use...and just beacause it was in the right box doesnt mean what was in the box is right either!

·
Registered
11,682 Posts
2001 was last year of alternator controlled voltage and charging light, After that the cars computer does controlling. Use the wrong alternator and system won't charge right, Check your alternator control plug for broken wires by wuggling them and watching output
The Alt is the same, the regulator is different. OE part uses regulator body color to identify.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ok so now it runs but as soon as it idles down under a grand it pops the message check charging system and my battery light comes on
Have you confirmed that the ALT inside the car now is correct for your year? Have you had the one you pulled out tested? I had one giving me ALT lights and opened it up and replaced the regulator inside (20 bucks)--and it was like new after that. You have to confirm you have correct ALT /regulator for your year. When RPM's are higher, what is the voltage back to the battery? Do you get 14 volts back to battery at any point at all?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts