Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This is for 2000 Taurus SE OHV.

This might be a silly question but I do want to see whether I did anything wrong here.

First of all, I don't have problems to check the engine oil level through the dipstick. The issue I had was to check the level for ATF.
Yesterday, when I checked the ATF level through the dipstick, I first wiped out the dipstick with a clean towel, then pushed the dipstick all the way in the tube and waited 3 seconds. After I pulled the dipstick out, the oil is all over the place and has passed the mesh marker indicated in the user manual when the engine has bee sitting there overnight. Originally, I thought the dealership overfilled my ATF. So I pumped out 3.5 QT and then checked again. But I saw the same issue again. The oil is shown all the places at the tip of the dipstick way passing the mesh marker.

Did someone know any possible reason that causes the issue? I assumed my checking method is correct. Also, the pan drop and refill were done a few years ago and I don't see any problems so far. The main reason why I decided to check and replace the ATF is for maintenance purpose.

Thank you

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
As you put the dipstick in the tube it scrapes fluid off the sides so it makes checking level difficult. You have to look for the point where the fluid stops covering the whole width of the stick.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Running in park...the tranny pump is pumping the fluid thru so it is at the proper level. whan not running the fluid is dettling back into the pan and it will look over full...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
q0987
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing