Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how much you paid to get your tranny rebuilt and where you had it done.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
If you don't have to, I would suggest not going with the lowest possible price, cuz sometimes its worse to pay too little than to pay too much. when talking about a Taurus tranny i think that is a good philosophy. Anyways, I didn't do that I got a Rebuilt transmission and cooler installed at Quality Transmisson (Division of AAMCO I think) for about 1400 oh and a transmission mount too. Somewhere along those lines.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver@Jan 20 2004, 02:15 PM
my tranny rebuild was 2 grand. on a gen 3 vulcan. the drive shaft..(or something like that) was broke completely in half. i gotta stop thinking that i'm at a race every time the traffic lights turn green....
Sarah - I bet you buy a LOT of gas

·
Registered
307 Posts
mine was 1975 with the 12 month warranty

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just got mine done... $1255 was everything and I have a year warranty... not too shabby. Oh wait, change that - it still sucks having to spend $1255. Just got it back a wek ago, so I can't really tell ya how they did yet

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Mine was done by a shop of which i'm pretty good friends with the manager. He does alot of work for my shop (A uhaul shop) so he gave me a really good price. His base estimate for me was about $750 for a complete rebuild. I had asked him to replace the forward clutch piston assembly to the revised one (to prevent future problems). He also replaced the planetary gear set because about a week or two before I got the trans rebuilt... the trans would do neutral drops on its own. Total cost of rebuild $970.00
I did have to wait about 1 1/2 weeks, but I think it was worth it. Its been about 8k miles since the rebuild, it's been pretty good

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit+Jan 20 2004, 03:26 PM-->QUOTE (Firespirit @ Jan 20 2004, 03:26 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-detroit_raver
@Jan 20 2004, 02:15 PM
my tranny rebuild was 2 grand. on a gen 3 vulcan. the drive shaft..(or something like that) was broke completely in half. i gotta stop thinking that i'm at a race every time the traffic lights turn green....
Sarah - I bet you buy a LOT of gas
[/b]
actually.. yeah my hubbie buys lots of gas.
he only drives 4 miles to work everyday and i barely leave my house... and we fill it up once or twice a week. i have to learn how to take off slower some how. like the hubbie.. he takes off at a light and it takes him a half an hour to hit the speed limit. i take off and i'm instantly at the speed limit moments later. not very good for my transmission. not to mention the fact that i think the tranny is starting to slip and we just had it done like a year ago.... and its all my fault. expecially after getting my chip. i just had to chirp my tires at every single take off. now i can't even chirp them anymore cause the tires have like no tread left on them at all.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Jan 21 2004, 07:39 PM
Nah, not your fault! Think of it as a calling. You were meant to run in NASCAR!

But you buy gas once or twice a week?? Wow, I've finally got it down to once every two weeks.
But when I feel like racing, it's once a week. But that's in the intrepid. I get better gas mileage in my bull. I miss her
when i was younger my parents always said i should of been born a boy cause i was such a tomboy and always saying that i wanted to be a race car driver when i grew up. and yeah i fill up the tank on sundays before church and sometimes we have to fill up again before the week is over. a third of the time though is always on sundays.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Explorer gets filled up every other day.
Then again, it probably gets more than 100 miles put on it in a day.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Originally posted by Majisto@Jan 22 2004, 02:06 AM
geez!! that sucks. mine just sucks cause the hubbie only drives 4 miles to work every day and i never leave my house. than theres going to church and college that adds up the miles.... well no... its cause i drive like i'm in the nascar.. i'll admit it...

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver+Jan 22 2004, 02:11 AM-->QUOTE (detroit_raver @ Jan 22 2004, 02:11 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Majisto
@Jan 22 2004, 02:06 AM
geez!! that sucks. mine just sucks cause the hubbie only drives 4 miles to work every day and i never leave my house. than theres going to church and college that adds up the miles.... well no... its cause i drive like i'm in the nascar.. i'll admit it...
[/b]
I'm in sales, what can I say? The Explorer also just happens to see redline every day. I blame it on the short gearing. Yeah...that's the reason. At least I don't have a trans-axle to worry about going out on me.

The nice thing about the Taurus is that since the trans-axle is junk, everybody knows to fix it, and prices are lower because there is more competition. Is this Ford 500's 6-speed automatic completely new, or will it use AX4S/N parts?

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Accelerating fast is not going to hurt your transmission that much. What's going to hurt it is stuff like brake torquing and spinning your tires a lot as the heat has nowhere to be transferred and the torque converter takes it. And heat kills your tranny.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts