Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/headlightsdepo...634Q2ec0Q2em322

Can't recall if anyone's ever posted about em. But get a pair of really any gen headlight for about 100 bucks shipped.

As far as quality (you get what you pay for) that's for you to decide, or for everyone to discuss. Maybe someones bought from them?

First one on the list atleast as of right now.

$77.95+$19.95 Shipping.

$59.95+$19.95 Shipping.

If anything, be cheap way to pick up headlights and retrofit projectors...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Would this be cheaper than picking a pair up from your standard boneyard or pick n pull? I would like to try the fake-Centennials mod, but I'd rather not trash my only pair of eyes.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Guys, I had a set of cheap non-ford headlights in my 2000 for about a week. They were terribly bad! I went and bought two new ford ones. Huge difference in the quality and spreading of the reflectors. The fit of the cheapos sucked too. I'd say stay with OEM.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get what you pay for, I know that much. Like I said, these may be worthwhile in doing retrofit projects, or if going with one of those online places that do them for you but need a light to work with. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Some of you might remember my accident almost a year ago that trashed one of my headlights.

I ordered replacements on Ebay. I think it cost about $150 after shipping for Depo Centennial copies. When I got them installed the driver side parking lamp ground wire had a short in the molded connector. I emailed the seller and they offered to replace it - I only paid $13 to ship the defective light back to them. It took them weeks and many emails that they seemed to have trouble keeping track of on their end but I finally got the replacement. I haven't had any trouble since.

I would rate them as follows:

Fit: 7 out of 10 - The weather moldings don't line up quite perfect with the hood: this could be attributed to the fact that my front end is no longer factory perfect since the lights were replacements after a crash. Either way, it's only noticeable on close inspection.
Finish: 10 out of 10 - They look stock. No defects. I work in automotive and I'm way more anal about quality than the average customer and I have no complaints.
Functionality: 10 out of 10 - The bulbs are OEM Sylvania and have been in service for 10 months.
Ebay Seller's Customer Service: 6 out of 10 - They did what they were supposed to but it took more effort on my part than it should have.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
QUOTE (6stringRocketeer @ Apr 30 2009, 12:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721992
Would this be cheaper than picking a pair up from your standard boneyard or pick n pull? I would like to try the fake-Centennials mod, but I'd rather not trash my only pair of eyes.[/b]
The yard near me wants $65/ea for used Taurus headlights...I told them to keep 'em. I'm not paying $130 for a set of 8-year old lights I have to restore. If you have a Pull-A-Part franchise yard, then yes, it'll be cheaper than new aftermarkets.

My opinion on aftermarket lamps...I've only really seen the Centennials up close, but I can tell that they aren't factory. They look good, and they look stock from a distance, but up close they don't fit quite like OEM. They usually stick out a little bit where they meet the fender - that's the dead giveway that they aren't OEM. With the prices on new OEM Centennials, I wouldn't really hesitate to buy the reproductions, even though the OEM beam pattern is normally a little less cross-eyed.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Ive heard you can swap the reflector bucket from the OEMs to the repros. I've also heard that the coating on the repros flake off after spending some time in the sun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Apr 30 2009, 06:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722057
Ive heard you can swap the reflector bucket from the OEMs to the repros. I've also heard that the coating on the repros flake off after spending some time in the sun.[/b]
Some of them do flake. My friend bought some and after about 6 month the coating started flaking off the top.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I've had a few sets of Depo lights and I've always been happy with them. Fit isn't 100% perfect, but for the price I've always been pleased. I bought a set of Discoball headlights through them for my 93 Taurus and the Centennials I have on my current car, although they're only about 8 months old.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
QUOTE (93 Sable @ Apr 30 2009, 08:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722097
I've had a few sets of Depo lights and I've always been happy with them. Fit isn't 100% perfect, but for the price I've always been pleased. I bought a set of Discoball headlights through them for my 93 Taurus and the Centennials I have on my current car, although they're only about 8 months old.[/b]
i just got a set of Depo discoballs the other day fairly cheap

·
Registered
190 Posts
My 96 had badly yellowed and crackled headlights and polishing didn't help enough. I got repros from eBay for $74/pair with free shipping, and they look and work fine. The adjusting can now be done with a phillips screwdriver as well.

They don't have quite as good of a pattern as the Ford ones, but they are an excellent value.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts