Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been chasing a vibration in the front end of our 97. It is when you put the brakes on so I figure warped rotors. I have changed them, brand new, and the vibration continues. I have had the struts changed, all in ones, and last week even had the front tires checked for balance. When I changed the brakes I checked for play in the hubs and did not seem to find anything. I once had a Subaru that the rear brakes were shot and it vibrated when I braked. I guess because of the fronts were working so hard. That is my next try. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem with my Taurus.

Hello, my 1996 taurus have the same problem. I replaced tires, struts, brake pads, rotors and wheel bearings.

Did you ever find out the reason, were you able to fix it? I am taking it to repair shop again with a hope in my heart.

I really love this car, but this problem is so annoying. I have been chasing it for more than a year now and spent almost $1500.

Please help me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good morning, From another site I was told to check tierod ends and also rust on the hub. There is a little play when I jack up the wheel and grab it at 9 and 3 o'clock and push/pull it. It seems like a loose bearing. I may repack it but will try the rust idea first. I was alone doing the shacking so really could check the ends. I just had new struts put in at a very good shop so I would think they had checked the ends. I have not had too much time this past week to look at it but will over the weekend and post up if I find anything. Jim

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Loose/worn ball joints, and/or loose/worn inner or outer tie rods can cause the shaking. Have you tried rotating the tires to rule out the tires themselves? Somtimes, tires may have some movement in the internal cords, of which can also cause vibration (my old tires had that problem). Getting a force balance done (when they put a roller to simulate load on the tire while balancing) will help, but won't completely take the vibration away. Also, if whoever mounted the tires didn't match the high spot in the tire to the low spot on the rim, that can cause vibration.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2000 chevy impala. Had a really bad vibration over 25 mph. Gradually changed the whole front suspension with multiple tire rotations, balancing and alignment. After alot of effort and money spent I still had that vibration, only much less shaky - thanks to full brand new front suspension. At the end it turned out to be an axel with was bent just a little and not noticeble. After it was changed the car drove beautifully. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
204 Posts
when i first got my bull it had a vibration an a wobble.. so i started replacein things nothin happen took it to NTB. to get inspected the said my back wheel barings where shoot and i needed new back tires so i let them and soon as i pulled out the vibration an wobble moved to the front. so i did the same thing and nothin. decided to check my half shafts the both where shoot..(sorry if i made it long jus addin the whole story case it helps.and car runs like a dream now jus dont like the front suspension on my car.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
May be a bent caliper bracket seeing as it happens when the brakes are applied.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I worked on the Taurus for about 3 hours last weekend. I had the old rotors turned figuring maybe one of the new ones was not true. Checked inside outside tie rods,wiggle the wheels, nothing for sure. Still bad wobble at brake. I decided to take it to the shop . They were a little stumped too. Also said there was a little play in the wheels like I had seen but agrees it wasn't enough to cause the problem. Checked run out in the rotor OK. Finally headed toward the rear after one of the his other mechanics took it out and thought it maybe coming from the rear. They turned the drums and the problem is no more. Brakes are smoother than ever. I had checked the rears for adjustment but never thought the drums would need turning. I had a Subaru that had a braking problem and I found the bakes needed adjustment. That is why I had checked the rear. I had guessed the wobble on the Subby was all the braking to the front. Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im starting to run into the same problem. Did your steering wheel and pedal shake or just one or the other? I have both and new pads and rotors didnt change anything.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was horrible. The wheel would shake and you would get a rumble out of what appeared to be the front right. It was so bad I hated to hit the brakes. Coming of a steep, short exit ramp was the worse. It is perfect now. Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
interesting. i will have to try the rears instead of replacing the front. i have never heard or seen that before but its worth a try. thanks

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
I just had a caliper freeze up on mine, did rotors, reman. calipers and pads.
2 days later I smell brakes on the R front, it's not releasing again. Couldn't pry back the caliper, WTF? . That wheel also had a bad brake hose, changed hoses both sides and another new rotor on the R and all is well.
Nothing like 2 issues at once, first time I've had a vehicle with a bad brake hose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Replaced rear rotors and pads and that fixed the issues. never did i stop and think it could be the rear brakes causing the steering wheel and pedal to shake.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts