Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
So, bought this right after the July 4 day off. Now 6 years + and 59K miles and still no rust, runs fine, my favorite car of all time. It was a rescue car as it was going to auction if I did not buy it. Not too clean, poorly maintained but cheap for no rust FL car. Daughter wants to borrow it next weekend for a road trip ~250 miles or so. Scheduled at Sams club for Mics.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Replaced these. Rear wagon '03. Getting a little thin. Springs rusted solid.
-chart-
For what it is worth: I am 81 today, (happy birthday to me) and I can still change rear disc pads, screw the piston in, sand the rotors and such in the driveway in winter.
Tomorrow get cortisone shots in my knees tomorrow, hour or so before the snow storm = est. 10". Snow blower all tuned up and gas can out there along with the shovel. Buick full of gas, and will fill the wagon today after a shopping run for essentials.
-chart-

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Replaced the belt on the Taurus. One on it was fairly new when I bought it used, less than 2 years ago. I will guess it was damaged when someone installed it. The sleeve for this belt was in the trunk along with another new belt, one number different but that checked to be 4" longer and useless. So I bought, belt, pads for rear of wagon, 2 each of the following. fuel filters, air filters, cabin filters. Going to be a maintenance project in the Spring.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Today replaced the fuel filter on the Sable Wagon. Last reported maintenance before I bought it was ~80K. Now 161K. I have not done this during that time. I got clips off the internet. Pulling the old clips, they broke easily. I used needle nose pliers to pull the ends. No problem. After removal of the old filter, I removed it from my catch tub and let the fuel drain out the inlet into this bowl. Looks like mud. I cycled the key few times to build pressure. Then started normal and it died. Likely trapped air. Restarted and reved it up and then ran normal. Checked for leaks and it is dry.
To access I drove the pas side front wheel up on a ramp. Remembered to put the clips in the ends, then pushing the nipples in until they clicked, then pulled to be sure.
Now need to get to the Taurus.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Gotta go tomorrow for this one.
128K miles, scratch and dent car. Looking for a daily driver for the grandson drive to work and then college intern must have car.
Same dealer I bought my '03 Taurus couple years ago.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Also, the Tec oil pan gasket was "redesigned" in 04, so pan gasket leaks pretty much became a non issue.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Gotta go tomorrow for this one.
128K miles, scratch and dent car. Looking for a daily driver for the grandson drive to work and then college intern must have car.
Same dealer I bought my '03 Taurus couple years ago.
-chart-
Scratch and dent sale. Three owners, three accidents. Had to laugh a bit. My wife asked what color it was. I said, I do not know. Not a top priority for a grandson. I guess it is the "rare" Silver Frost.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Scratch and dent sale. Three owners, three accidents. Had to laugh a bit. My wife asked what color it was. I said, I do not know. Not a top priority for a grandson. I guess it is the "rare" Silver Frost.
-chart-
Bought it today, only issue CEL is on, and the A/C does not kick in but clutch is not bad. Runs and drives nice, brakes good, tires good, parking brake works. Just need insurance card and will go pick it up.
Buick Lucerne, ~170 miles in the Endless Mountains of PA Pocono area, I-380, I-81, I-86. Total 385 miles on tank, says 125 to E. Most 65-70+ mph. 3 stops for pit stops.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Bought it today, only issue CEL is on, and the A/C does not kick in but clutch is not bad. Runs and drives nice, brakes good, tires good, parking brake works. Just need insurance card and will go pick it up.
Buick Lucerne, ~170 miles in the Endless Mountains of PA Pocono area, I-380, I-81, I-86. Total 385 miles on tank, says 125 to E. Most 65-70+ mph. 3 stops for pit stops.
-chart-
I bet a plunger on the big dent on the front fender will pop 90% of that dent out. When you pass the exit on I-380 for Moscow, Pa. you are a mile from where I grew up. Did they tell you the code for the CEL?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Pain of travel. Bringing the Taurus "05 home. I-80 backup miles due to construction, one lane of bridge closed. Speed vs time of our detour bypassing miles of stalled traffic. Daughter's phone indicated this was fastest route. So on the chart, from first stall to when we pulled off at a fast food for a put stop. Made 6 miles in 25 minutes. Next 3 miles took 10 minutes. Welcome to construction season. I am sure if we had done the interstate route, it would take longer. At least on the local road, we could stop for a break. Glad that is over. Data by "Carchip". Chart by ME!
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
MPG of my '05 Taurs 153 miles total. Mostly mountains in Pocono mountains I-380, I-81 to I-86 in NY. Mostly 65 mph as I was not real comfortable with a car I was not familiar with. Particular the brake pedal seems a bit low. And my daughter following me in the Buick so being sure we do not get separated much. We stopped 3 times for pit stops.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
6 years ago

6 years ago, today, It looks like the end. But 78K miles later, still running strong. Totaled and bought back $406, spend ~$400 fixing it up. Got some character in the top::D

-chart-
Sold old white to friend couple years ago but I did not have the title where I can get to it since the house fire, it was in store. Got the title now, transferred it and "Mark" titled it and I got the plates back. So, two winters for him, winter beater car but now needed new struts as the spring was broken. So at 196K miles, lots of rust, and saw it today with my daughter driving it. Mark is off on on a trip but he does not use Old White out of town. So Old Rusty lives on for others. Tough old car.
-chart-

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Pic of my herd today. Had the one the daughter drives, (the gold one) here today for check up, air filter, tire check, elect ground check, added half Q of oil.
-chart-

Attachments

101 - 115 of 115 Posts