Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Not all bad. Got cortizone shots in both knees and one shoulder yesterday. Now one day later, great improvement. Wife gets one shoulder and we go in together. Scheduled repeat in 3 months.
And I have a very good guy working on my cars. I dropped the Buick off totally unexpected and in 2 hours or so, it is done and he called me back. And they are busy, parking lot full. And I am so thankful that I am very healthy. Wife is doing bit better day by day.
-chart-

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Going through the Taurus for details today. Up on ramps and the heat shield over the exhaust front to back has had the tab broken where the pop rivet held it. There is a second unused hole close so I drilled a pilot hole near the poprivet is and used a self tapping screw to secure it. Noise gone. Wire brushed some surface rust while under there with a grill cleaning brush. Then sprayed it with Eastwood frame rail rust preventing paint. Ran out of time so I did not finish what I wanted to do today. Planned to drain the coolant and refill. Got the air dam off for planned replace of front struts.

Got the sub frame bolts out one at a time and greased the shanks for future rust issues. Wanted to be sure they were going to work good when I plan to lower the sub frame to do struts. Plan to do the struts in daughter's car port so I can work in any weather, and do it as I can without schedule pressure. Can't block my house drive as there are contractors working on the house and need access.

-chart-
OE parts made in US, RA less than $50 per side. OE so left and right to match the sway arm links.
OE ride quality.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
OK no pic of this: mouse nest on top of the filter, area full so could not even see the filter. Pulled all out and used air hose to blow out the area. "Out of sight: Out of mind" not a good idea.

-chart-
After 5 months of resting in a carport, ready to go to the daughter for daily driver. 109K 16 years old, no rust, clean, well maintained. Today oil and filter, PS fluid exchange, and washed.
New front struts, rear brakes, new springs & adjusters, cylinders honed and new cups. BK fluid flushed. Still need to check the cabin filter. Only issue, 6 CD changer works sometimes, not others. Battery 5+ years old so expect new one before cold weather.
Getting the Buick back from the daughter.
-chart-
Changed oil yesterday, and put the air dam back on. 7800 miles in 125 days, used 1 Q of oil. Kept the small screws in a zip lock but could not find the #6 screws, 3 of them. Bought 4 at Lowes for ~$1.50. When ready to put the dam on found I had put the OE ones back in their holes. Once and a while, I find something. Day late, $1 short. The air dam makes the car warm up faster, stay warm longer between trips. Nice winter time. Checked the fluids, all good.
-cart-

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,056 Posts
Not a bad interval. You using synthetic or just dino oil?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I use Walmart Conventional 10-30 in all my herd. MC filters. Usually change oil 3K-4K miles. Winter and I have had no place to change oil. Finally got access to my garage. I have used the same things on my last 9 Bulls, and 5 Lin Cont. And on and on back. If it ain't broke, no need to fix it.
Actually I use GM filters on my the Buick.
Some previous owner of the Taurus had the pan gasket changed and It does not leak. So I know it possible for a DOHC to NOT leak.
-chart-

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Sedan: ready for inspection, checked code reader. New HL bulbs, new wiper blades, checked all lights. 185K and running sweet. Rust setting in doglegs.

'03 Sable LS Prem. 105K since the tree fall and total.

-chart-
'03 Sable now 190K and rusty and daughter said the driver side wiper arm not moving. She left it at the house and I checked and the nut was barely hand tight. Removed the arm, inspected, and put it back. Clocked it and tightened the nut good. Works nice. Replaced the wiper blades.
Never heard of this happening.
-chart-

·
Registered
605 Posts
'03 Sable now 190K and rusty and daughter said the driver side wiper arm not moving. She left it at the house and I checked and the nut was barely hand tight. Removed the arm, inspected, and put it back. Clocked it and tightened the nut good. Works nice. Replaced the wiper blades.
-chart-
When I was a kid, I thought it was neat that wipers could be lifted off the glass. So when the car was being washed, I got carried away with helping out.

Next time the car was driven, there was heavy rain, and the wipers wouldn't budge.

Turned out that playing with the wipers had caused both nuts to work loose. :eek:

·
Registered
22,815 Posts
^ Chart, if it loosens again, slip a thin lock washer under the nut and/or a dab of med. blue loc-tite.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
When I was a kid, I thought it was neat that wipers could be lifted off the glass. So when the car was being washed, I got carried away with helping out.

Next time the car was driven, there was heavy rain, and the wipers wouldn't budge.

Turned out that playing with the wipers had caused both nuts to work loose. :eek:
"When I was a kid" cars had one wiper and it was vacuum operated. Fast down hill, non to very slow up hill. The idea of a vacuum storage can had not been invented. Good old days: NOT!
-chart-

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
-chart-
The wagon is about half way to the end.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,352 Posts
-chart-
I had that happen with my Torrent about a month after the windshield was replaced. They didn't tighten the nuts and on the way to work one morning in a torrential downpour the drivers side wiper stopped working. Talk about an 'exciting' drive in.....

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
After 5 months of resting in a carport, ready to go to the daughter for daily driver. 109K 16 years old, no rust, clean, well maintained. Today oil and filter, PS fluid exchange, and washed.
New front struts, rear brakes, new springs & adjusters, cylinders honed and new cups. BK fluid flushed. Still need to check the cabin filter. Only issue, 6 CD changer works sometimes, not others. Battery 5+ years old so expect new one before cold weather.
Getting the Buick back from the daughter.
-chart-
Put the JY CD changer in, worked fine. Old one shuffled the discs but did not play. JY 2.2 miles away. 40% off today. Spring sale.
-chart-

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
No salvage yard around me has sales on parts. Down to one 2006 Taurus which will probably go latter this summer due to body rot. I have a brand new set of Michelin X tires from Sam's club mounted on rims from my 2001 with only 1000 miles on them. I need to thin out my extra parts.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts