Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Funny about that first code staying in our memories and getting used in subsequent vehicles, I do exactly the same thing.
Sign of old age or experience. Pick one!! Or both in my case.
As for me, change only when needed. Not for the sake of "change".

-chart-

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Still checking out my Taurus, just bought. Going to order some stuff from RA and wanted to know what it might need. Pulled a front plug and found it was replaced as well as the plug wires. Wires Autolite Professional and look very new, not even dust on them. Not fond of Autolite but they should do for many miles. Parked it in the garage at the apartment overnight so it would be cold. Plan to get it registered first of the week and then inspected before I mess with anything and mess up the "ready for inspection" system.

My plug wrench is somewhere, likely in storage so I bough one for $1 at a garage sale yesterday. Put masking tape over the end of the extensions so I did not risk dropping the socket or separating an extension and having to fish that out. Some of us learn from or mistakes.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Same here when it comes to picking numbers. I still use my original ATM card security code for a lot of things. That bank account is history so no worries.

Nice find on the Taurus Chart. Third Bull is 16 yrs old, 133K on it, and it still runs well. This summer's project is tires and struts. Will have my mechanic check it all out for me. Ride just seems a little rough at time. Maybe it's just all the potholes in PA. I just hope he doesn't find any rust.

I think I may retire next year and move out to UT. Would love to drive out there, make it my last shot at seeing the country. Sometimes I see a nice Flex wagon for sale and start daydreaming, but then reality sets in and I realize keeping the Bull is the best thing.

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Same here when it comes to picking numbers. I still use my original ATM card security code for a lot of things. That bank account is history so no worries.

Nice find on the Taurus Chart. Third Bull is 16 yrs old, 133K on it, and it still runs well. This summer's project is tires and struts. Will have my mechanic check it all out for me. Ride just seems a little rough at time. Maybe it's just all the potholes in PA. I just hope he doesn't find any rust.

I think I may retire next year and move out to UT. Would love to drive out there, make it my last shot at seeing the country. Sometimes I see a nice Flex wagon for sale and start daydreaming, but then reality sets in and I realize keeping the Bull is the best thing.

This car was from Newport PA, bought new at Duncannon. Location up in the mountains between those two towns. Bought new at the Ford place in Duncannon.
As to PA roads: I-81 to Scranton, I-380 to I-80 and I-80 to Delaware Water Gap. Average about 50 mph. Paving spots about each 5-10 miles, and traffic on the emergency lane. Took about 15 minutes to blend I-380 to I-80. Winter was not kind to those roads.

-chart-

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
The Taurus today, took all papers to the DMV and got it registered and sales tax paid. Plates are on the car and sticker in the window. Now to get it inspected. Daughter borrowed the wagon 11 days ago and drove it 1200 miles in that time. Another 200 mile trip Wednesday. I need to get it back in my use and let her have the Taurus. I like my wagon.

-chart-

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
The Taurus today, took all papers to the DMV and got it registered and sales tax paid. Plates are on the car and sticker in the window. Now to get it inspected. Daughter borrowed the wagon 11 days ago and drove it 1200 miles in that time. Another 200 mile trip Wednesday. I need to get it back in my use and let her have the Taurus. I like my wagon.

-chart-
Slid under today and inspected what I can see. A/C compressor has been replaced recently, pulley still has black paint in the grooves. Clutch not like OE, no rubber springs. Oil pan gasket looks new, very clean and no sign of oil leaks. BJ and sway links look very good, jacked up and push/pull on tires and no sign of slack. Posted elsewhere about the tires and I will rotate them front to back after inspection.

-chart-

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Slid under today and inspected what I can see. A/C compressor has been replaced recently, pulley still has black paint in the grooves. Clutch not like OE, no rubber springs. Oil pan gasket looks new, very clean and no sign of oil leaks. BJ and sway links look very good, jacked up and push/pull on tires and no sign of slack. Posted elsewhere about the tires and I will rotate them front to back after inspection.

-chart-
Passed inspection. No issue. Quick alignment paper done. Front camber tick off center to negative, identical side to side. Toe dead center. Rear toe dead center, camber center to tick negative. Bit of delay at Sears. They had very rusty Dodge pickup and it would not start. I heard them try and it would try over and over but just not go. They called the owner and told her they could gas it or push it outside. Owner said it is likely out of gas. Duhhhh! Anyway I will add about half turn "toe in" myself when I rotate tires. I prefer toe in. Handle better.
-chart-

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Going through the Taurus for details today. Up on ramps and the heat shield over the exhaust front to back has had the tab broken where the pop rivet held it. There is a second unused hole close so I drilled a pilot hole near the poprivet is and used a self tapping screw to secure it. Noise gone. Wire brushed some surface rust while under there with a grill cleaning brush. Then sprayed it with Eastwood frame rail rust preventing paint. Ran out of time so I did not finish what I wanted to do today. Planned to drain the coolant and refill. Got the air dam off for planned replace of front struts.

Got the sub frame bolts out one at a time and greased the shanks for future rust issues. Wanted to be sure they were going to work good when I plan to lower the sub frame to do struts. Plan to do the struts in daughter's car port so I can work in any weather, and do it as I can without schedule pressure. Can't block my house drive as there are contractors working on the house and need access.

-chart-

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
After 5 months of resting in a carport, ready to go to the daughter for daily driver. 109K 16 years old, no rust, clean, well maintained. Today oil and filter, PS fluid exchange, and washed.
New front struts, rear brakes, new springs & adjusters, cylinders honed and new cups. BK fluid flushed. Still need to check the cabin filter. Only issue, 6 CD changer works sometimes, not others. Battery 5+ years old so expect new one before cold weather.
Getting the Buick back from the daughter.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
After 5 months of resting in a carport, ready to go to the daughter for daily driver. 109K 16 years old, no rust, clean, well maintained. Today oil and filter, PS fluid exchange, and washed.
New front struts, rear brakes, new springs & adjusters, cylinders honed and new cups. BK fluid flushed. Still need to check the cabin filter. Only issue, 6 CD changer works sometimes, not others. Battery 5+ years old so expect new one before cold weather.
Getting the Buick back from the daughter.
-chart-
OK no pic of this: mouse nest on top of the filter, area full so could not even see the filter. Pulled all out and used air hose to blow out the area. "Out of sight: Out of mind" not a good idea.

-chart-

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Putting on coated rotor on rear of the wagon today. Had to pound the lug socket on this one and can see by the mark, got maybe 1/3rd of the way on. I had the wheel off about a month ago to plug a screw hole and no issue then. Fortunate I have spare lugs and could find them. My lug socket in a impact 3/4" half inch deep wall.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
So my goal is to keep my 3 Sables, '01, '03, '03 safe and reliable, but also looking reasonable. All have the same wheels so I can switch around. Some are corroded and not looking all that good. I cleaned this one real well, masked and painted it and clearcoated using Duplicolor rattle can wheel paint and clearcoat. The cap and wheel are shown together but they were done separate.

I have 4 spare JY wheels so I can rotate them out for painting.

-chart-
Doors frozen shut except:
One more reason to own a wagon.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
Doors frozen shut except:
One more reason to own a wagon.
-chart-
That was one thing that I hated about the design of the doors' weatherstripping. I put silicone on the jambs and weatherstripping but it didn't help all the time. Remote start came in hands a few times to get the doors open. Also hate the door lock latch flipping closed and keeping you from closing the door.

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
That was one thing that I hated about the design of the doors' weatherstripping. I put silicone on the jambs and weatherstripping but it didn't help all the time. Remote start came in hands a few times to get the doors open. Also hate the door lock latch flipping closed and keeping you from closing the door.
My doors were not stuck, just ice cover making it difficult to get to the handle. I went through the hatch and started it up and let it warm up. Later chipped the ice off the handle and the door opened and latched fine. Measured 9" on top of the car over the ice.
-chart-

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
So my goal is to keep my 3 Sables, '01, '03, '03 safe and reliable, but also looking reasonable. All have the same wheels so I can switch around. Some are corroded and not looking all that good. I cleaned this one real well, masked and painted it and clearcoated using Duplicolor rattle can wheel paint and clearcoat. The cap and wheel are shown together but they were done separate.

I have 4 spare JY wheels so I can rotate them out for painting.

-chart-
Well it finally happened. Broken front spring. '03 Sable wagon, my daily driver, hauler.
Driving on the interstate, hard thump like a hammer hit the bottom. Looked at the spring when I was at my stop couple miles later. Jacked it up a bit to see over the tire, full coil off and up inside the rest of the spring. Called my daughter to meet me at the shop were I get things done I can't do. Drove careful ~2 miles and parked it. I told them to put ready struts on it and have it aligned.
So now driving the Buck.
-chart-

·
Registered
22,576 Posts
^+1. Happened to me 4 times on gen3 tecs. 1st time sounded a hammer hit on bottom rf. No tire damage. 2nd time sounded like a shotgun blast lf. No tire damage. Lack of tire damage was probably due to the spring catcher/protectors installed on the fronts. Last 2 were rears both times. Rr had inside sidewall cut/scoring, but no blowout/flat. Lr had a gouging blowout/flat.

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
Had it happen a few times also. 1993 Taurus at low miles and was covered as part of recall. They installed protectors and spring broke again at slightly over 100k miles and not covered. 2001 silver Taurus had no protectors and one front and one rear broke around 50k miles. I am thinking front was covered but not rear under recall. 2001 Gold Taurus had both fronts replaced and protectors installed at 68k miles when I bought it from a Ford dealer. Dealer made a mistake and replaced them as a recall update but made a mistake because recall ended at 10 years from manufacture date. Never any tire damage on any event.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts