Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Mats clean in the Lin and my Sable Wagon. Soap, and a pressure washer while semi vertical so the dirty water drains out. Maybe I could do a maze.:lol2:

Nice day, they are dry and put back.

-chart-

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Starting to see a bit of rust starting on the hatch lip. Scrubbed it with tooth brush and let it dry. Sprayed with rust inhibit Crown aerosol. Will dry to the touch in 2 weeks. Will spray with car color rattle can then.

I have experience with this on door bottoms. It is not from inside.

-chart-

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Next project. Prev owner had the stat replaced and they had to pull this hose. Looks like the punched it with a screw driver and it seeps. Have to add a bit of coolant from time to time.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Rust Prevent update

Starting to see a bit of rust starting on the hatch lip. Scrubbed it with tooth brush and let it dry. Sprayed with rust inhibit Crown aerosol. Will dry to the touch in 2 weeks. Will spray with car color rattle can then.

I have experience with this on door bottoms. It is not from inside.

-chart-
See pic, inject Fluid film, two holes, one top, one as seen. Move the hose way in and pull it out as I spray. Two rounds and it runs out the bottom. Half inch hole, and I have plugs for that size. Mask paint and two coats undercoat after the holes plugged.

-chart-

Today doing my Sable '03 Sedan, but more rusty than my wagon, this car been through 5 NY winters and several at least in PA. Using some old rattle can stuff Bondo, with the Fluid film wand. Dog Leg done, rocker done and one side rocker to go. I will spray the bottom rail from under and outside later. Hope to get 2-3 more winters out of this. The rocker has two chambers so I do the inside one through the smaller holes on the bottom where the push pins attach the covers.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Rust Rocker

Rocker spray inside through the larger holds, wand 24" but can use about 20 so can reach inside and overlap. Saturated until it drips out. Used Crown spray on the outside of the bottom frame rail. Today will put the front tire up a ramp and use the Crown corrosion spray in the inside of the frame rail and any floor pan rusting. One side done.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Rear shocks on the '03 wagon. The top bolt was hard to reach, nearly impossible to do the hex and hold the shaft. I cut the plastic dust shield off and used vice grips on the shaft. Then impact 15mm deep socket and pulled the nut off. The tools shown include the second jack to keep the knuckle from dropping down and pulling the brake hose. Also, after new shock is in, jacked the new one up a bit to seat the rubber grommet for getting the top nut on.

Much better feel to the rear. Old shocks had no gas left but only minor leaking. KYB from RA.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Garage

Getting the garage back in use after ~15 years of being storing stuff. Clear space 10' x 21'. Carpeted floor. :D
What is left will go elsewhere or the trash.
My '03 Sable will be in for rear struts tomorrow. After it stops raining so it comes in dry. Once in and dry, no rush.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Did rattle can spray with a wand inside the rear doglegs last fall. 13 year old car so I am a tick late. Plugged the half inch holes and used undercoat inside the inner wheel well to seal it up. One more winter, daily driven. Looks like I did not go around the top far enough.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Did rattle can spray with a wand inside the rear doglegs last fall. 13 year old car so I am a tick late. Plugged the half inch holes and used undercoat inside the inner wheel well to seal it up. One more winter, daily driven. Looks like I did not go around the top far enough.
-chart-
Since there's 2 layers of metal along that lip, eventually something will works it's way in between the two, despite your best efforts.

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Since there's 2 layers of metal along that lip, eventually something will works it's way in between the two, despite your best efforts.
Agree on the lip. If I can keep the inside solid for another couple years, I will be happy. In this one, I painted the lip with rust proofing black, masked to keep it from the outside. See pic, last Fall, I will likely redo this treatment each Fall. I let this one get ahead of me. I think I am way ahead on treating my wagon. I really like my wagon. :lol2:
Sedan in the pic attached, rusting, my wagon is totally rust free for now.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Older of these in the pic. sold soon after this pic. I had to have the sub frame replaced and the exhaust from the cat back to have it inspected for sale. Consignment guy sold it. Saw it yesterday in a community center parking lot. I was walking the wife's dog so we walked by it. Has new tires but else looks the same, some slight rust around my huge patch of the pas side dog leg. Did note, the driver's side rear disk is not working. Covered in rust and no sign of rubbing. Fronts look nice. Some paint starting to peel on one front fender.

And the expanding foam filling of the rockers still is holding the covers on well. Heavy rust belt car all it's life.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
See pic, inject Fluid film, two holes, one top, one as seen. Move the hose way in and pull it out as I spray. Two rounds and it runs out the bottom. Half inch hole, and I have plugs for that size. Mask paint and two coats undercoat after the holes plugged.

-chart-

Today doing my Sable '03 Sedan, but more rusty than my wagon, this car been through 5 NY winters and several at least in PA. Using some old rattle can stuff Bondo, with the Fluid film wand. Dog Leg done, rocker done and one side rocker to go. I will spray the bottom rail from under and outside later. Hope to get 2-3 more winters out of this. The rocker has two chambers so I do the inside one through the smaller holes on the bottom where the push pins attach the covers.

-chart-
So rust showing up but not where I might expect. Fall '16 I treated the rockers as they had rust, especially at the rear where it joins the dogleg. Also drilled holes in the inner fender and treated the dogleg, front, up part way, and further up. Guess I should have gone one more step to the rear/top. Project for when it warms up. I plan to poke through the rust hole and treat the insides, or go in through the inner fender. Then sand it out and use Bondo/glass cloth and patch, sand, paint. Common color. Car just turned 169K and is 15 years old. Serious rust belt here. Winter is not over as far as salt but not far away.
Daughter drives this car every day, and it has been a really bad winter for wet and salt. She borrowed my wagon for a trip tonight so I will have the sedan a few days and check everything.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So rust showing up but not where I might expect. Fall '16 I treated the rockers as they had rust, especially at the rear where it joins the dogleg. Also drilled holes in the inner fender and treated the dogleg, front, up part way, and further up. Guess I should have gone one more step to the rear/top. Project for when it warms up. I plan to poke through the rust hole and treat the insides, or go in through the inner fender. Then sand it out and use Bondo/glass cloth and patch, sand, paint. Common color. Car just turned 169K and is 15 years old. Serious rust belt here. Winter is not over as far as salt but not far away.
Daughter drives this car every day, and it has been a really bad winter for wet and salt. She borrowed my wagon for a trip tonight so I will have the sedan a few days and check everything.

-chart-
I was surprised. I took a knife to this and the other side and expected to see a hole. No. It is surface rust just under the paint. Peal the paint away and it peals back into clean metal. Given some time and it will rust from the outside in but I will not let that happen. I will quick sand around to fresh metal and prime it until warm weather. Lifted the hood and everything in front is white with salt. Hood latch is not very free but been 7 years since cleaned. I will likely hose it down when it is above freezing today.

Some of the paint damage goes back to when a tree fell on it, lots of dents on top but sides also scratched by the branches while rushing to cut the tree off it in the rain and get inside the garage. Top glass gone and raining inside. That was 2011. Tough old car. :D

-chart-

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

-chart-
So, took the Dremel out with a drum sanding and knocked off the paint around the rust spots. Used a file folder with a cutout as a shield and primed the area. Might keep it OK till warm weather.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Wagon

Since the house fire, I am driving ~80 miles per day rather than ~18 before. I had no plans to run up the miles but @#$%& happens.
Back is full of stuff going and such.

-chart-

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Since the house fire, I am driving ~80 miles per day rather than ~18 before. I had no plans to run up the miles but @#$%& happens.
Back is full of stuff going and such.

-chart-
So after 37 days still going ~80 per day, mostly trips less than 10 miles, hauling stuff. Wagons are for this but then, Daughter wants to take on 200 mile trip next Tue taking grandson to college. We hope to start moving stuff Monday from the motel and storage to our new apartment. Wagons are for hauling.

-chart-

21 - 40 of 78 Posts