Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my goal is to keep my 3 Sables, '01, '03, '03 safe and reliable, but also looking reasonable. All have the same wheels so I can switch around. Some are corroded and not looking all that good. I cleaned this one real well, masked and painted it and clearcoated using Duplicolor rattle can wheel paint and clearcoat. The cap and wheel are shown together but they were done separate.

I have 4 spare JY wheels so I can rotate them out for painting.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
7,300 Posts
Chart, I always get my rims balanced with the clip on weight on the inside only and no sticky weights.
Never had a problem with any vibrations or out of balance when driving at any speed.

The outer weight collects all the salt/grime under it and it destroys the finish of the rim in that area, no matter how hard you try to clean it! :)

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
looks good man any more pics of the cars?
The sedan was totaled and buy back. Still got dents in the roof, 45K and 3.5 years later, still good car.

The wagon is the '01 and I have '03 identical outside. Only difference is one is column shift, other console. And some rust on the '01.

The Lin Cont, I bought used, just over 3 years ago, 40K miles, pristine, VA car, no sign of rust. It is a keeper.

-chart-

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Clearcoat Test
This wheel center cap matches my Lin but I do not need one. Got this at the JY in the mud for $2. It was corroded and some of the clearcoat blistered. I removed the coating with paint remover, then sanded it in steps like you would do auto paint for finish. I used a paint pen on the emblem, and clearcoated it with Duplicolor. Put it out in the elements for the winter to see how it stands up.

Also clearcoated a headlight as someone else had posted a pic of that. It is out behind the garage facing south for the winter, sun, snow, rain, and such. Looks nice but need to see how it stands up.

-chart-

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Does the Lin get stored over the winter?
No it's a workhorse, goes every day. Wife can't drive the wagon. It is console shift and she has had bones fused in her thumb and it is very hard to push the botton to shift. Has to use the other hand and that is bad enough. Also, has a special adapter for the Lin key with a bar so she can turn it. Can't use the thumb and finger like us.

The Lin is column shift. She can drive it just fine.

And for the past 3 years it has taken us to the doctor/hospital in Buffalo NY in the winter. You can imagine what that is like. 135 miles each way in the snow belt.

And it is Lin Cont #5 for us.

-chart-

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Living in Buffalo myself, believe me I get it.

That really is a great vehicle. It's a very distinctive car, unlike some of the other rebadges of the modern era. Wouldn't mind tooling around that or an LS myself, although the LS I think would be more difficult to keep running.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Living in Buffalo myself, believe me I get it.

That really is a great vehicle. It's a very distinctive car, unlike some of the other rebadges of the modern era. Wouldn't mind tooling around that or an LS myself, although the LS I think would be more difficult to keep running.
Attached pic of my present Lin, bought 11-11-11 in Fredricksburg VA.
There are a few for sale down in the rust free belt, many with low miles and no more expensive than a Bull. I am old and do not like change. Spedo is easy to read, controls are easy to manage. Quiet, rides nice, loads of torque, maybe 1 mpg worse than my Sables. 300# heavier than my wagon, 50%+ more cubic inches. Close to the same wheel base, less than inch wider. About foot longer, more rear leg room and more trunk.

If something happend to this one, I would buy another.

Last one made 2002. Mine April 2002. Made well after they stopped taking orders, but they made some speculation cars and auctioned them to dealers. This one had sun roof delete. I like that. See, I am old and set in my ways.

And as to Buffalo, I think we are through with our medical things there. I can live without driving in SNOW, wind, and snow fog.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Continentals are nice cars. It's pretty tight in the engine bay, but they have great power, good stopping power, and are fairly comfortable and quiet. Independent rear suspension makes it handle better than a Town Car. And they are more reliable/easier to maintain than a Lincoln LS (those are unf nightmares).

Chart - are you keeping the 2001 sable wagon or still trying to sell it?

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Continentals are nice cars. It's pretty tight in the engine bay, but they have great power, good stopping power, and are fairly comfortable and quiet. Independent rear suspension makes it handle better than a Town Car. And they are more reliable/easier to maintain than a Lincoln LS (those are unf nightmares).

Chart - are you keeping the 2001 sable wagon or still trying to sell it?
The '01 Sable LS Prem wagon is still for sale. I really like the '03 better than the '01. Quieter, better lighting.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Yes on both. 03 models were a noticeable improvement.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Is it possible to add the soundproofing to a pre-03 car? Is the soundproofing on the interior, or do they spray some sort of rubberizer under the car? Do they pump something like foam between the sheetmetal? Bull Geek- if you redid the interior of your 00 with 03 parts, did soundproofing carry over?

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Is it possible to add the soundproofing to a pre-03 car? Is the soundproofing on the interior, or do they spray some sort of rubberizer under the car? Do they pump something like foam between the sheetmetal? Bull Geek- if you redid the interior of your 00 with 03 parts, did soundproofing carry over?

I know different door seals are part of the upgrades. The 2003 models have some pretty intricate seal design.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The sedan was totaled and buy back. Still got dents in the roof, 45K and 3.5 years later, still good car.

The wagon is the '01 and I have '03 identical outside. Only difference is one is column shift, other console. And some rust on the '01.

The Lin Cont, I bought used, just over 3 years ago, 40K miles, pristine, VA car, no sign of rust. It is a keeper.

-chart-
The white '03 sedan just turned 50K miles since totaled. 130K today. Hard to keep a Sable down. See pic totaled due to dents in the roof, this side.

-chart-

·
TCCA Facebook Admin
3,981 Posts
Is it just me or is the rear wheel one of the machined versions?

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is it just me or is the rear wheel one of the machined versions?
Good eyes. Found the came in polished and painted.
This car was a repos and as is. Rear wheel damaged and leaking air, wheel damaged. Drove it 150 miles home on spare.

Got a wheel at the JY = $10 +$5 core. Got the core back when returned the damaged wheel. Then as time passed got 4 more JY wheels with good tires over time. And had '01 Sable at the time so 2 cars with mix and match wheel styles. Gave away 2 of my wheels with well used tires while back. Of course they stay in the club.

So I still have 2 out back under a tarp but pay little attention to which style is on which car. Now have another Sable, so have 14 wheels total. :lol2:

-chart-

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Rust Prevent

Here is a pic of my dogleg '01 which I fixed and sold over a year ago. In the pic you see through the outer and inner. flange which was gone has been restored with bondo and fiberglass. Outer reskinned with the same, primed and painted. Then I filled the gap between the fenders with expanding foam through the inside hole. Trimmed off the excess with a hot putty knife, coated the inside with aerosol undercoat. Two more winters and it was sold over a year ago and I saw it recently and it looks fine. On the rockers which had much of the bottom rusted out, I filled them with foam and used decking screws to hold the rocker covers on. They are still holding.

I have 2 '03 Sables which are not yet rusted. I have a plan to treat the gap between the fenders from the inner side. Will post as it goes. Also fog the inside of the rockers.

More to come.

-chart-

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
About this Discussion
68 Replies
16 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing