Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really hard to find what fits our needs. But I traded the old Lin in for this. 2011, one owner, no smoking, serviced at the selling dealer on schedule, no accidents, no bruises, clean, mid PA car so no rust issues. All day yesterday 3+ hours down and then ran around to see 3 cars. New GY tires, new rotors and pads, just serviced. 59K miles.

The wife has had surgery to replace her right shoulder, so it does not move back to the seat belt for passenger, and had bones fused in her right thumb so difficult to grip the belt with her right hand. Open center (column shift) and I usually do her seat belt. Even for her to do a seat belt, much better in the open center. And of course she only wants light color in and out. So this silver out and titanium in works.

Now have to learn how to reset the trip odometer and mpg reset and lots of other buttons. Today found it warms up much quicker than the Lin, and I used the heated steering wheel. Dual climate setting works for the wife also.

Even though this is a 11 the 12's were out well before this one sold. Noted, quick look at Carfax oil changed 10 times in the first 49K miles.

Attachments

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Sad to see the Lincoln go, but that's not a bad replacement in the least. I've got a colleague with one of those and it's a supremely comfortable vehicle. I hope it's not one of those GMs with the battery under the rear passengers' bench, though. Stupid GM engineering at times, although some of their engines are nicely bullet proof.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! May it serve you well for many years. I'll try to stop by sometime when I'm over that way and take a look at it.

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sad to see the Lincoln go, but that's not a bad replacement in the least. I've got a colleague with one of those and it's a supremely comfortable vehicle. I hope it's not one of those GMs with the battery under the rear passengers' bench, though. Stupid GM engineering at times, although some of their engines are nicely bullet proof.
OK, the battery is under the rear seat, easy to pop the seat up. MUCH easier than the Lin. I had to do lots of work to remove that to get the stuff out from under before trade. No indication of a new battery in the Carfax so no date on this. I will do a load test sometime when I have time. I did put the volt meter on the power port and let it idle with all power stuff, lights, blower max, seat and steering heat and it held just over 14V so the Alt is strong. 140A.

The Lin started having some warts. At 16 years some is normal. Rear windows quit, just like my previous Lin. It was loosing coolant at about a cup per week and no sign of where, but it was on the driveway. It got picky about needing premium fuel = 93. Too much of a "hot rod" for the wife. She asked me while back what that green light with the lines from it when she turned the corner to out street. I told her she was spinning the wheels but it never made a dent in her foot.

The Buick has throttle by wire and it has quite a different feel. Very light on the first ~quarter inch then it gets aggressive. I found it really needs gear "3" in the PA mountains or it shifts back and forth. I drove an '07 with the 3.8 old school engine and now this with 3.9 upgraded engine and it is day and night difference. Specs show it peak torque at a lower rpm which is needed for the tall gearing. About 1600 rpm at 60 mph.

The under hood access if really open. While the Lin took me 2 hours to do the belt replace, this one looks like maybe 5 minutes. Alt maybe 10 minutes. As a throwback they use coil packs. Two of them. I do not know how that works.

Oh well. Got a pile of stuff out in the garage while cleaning out the Lin, now to put it somewhere other than in the car. Found 2 new tooth brushes under the rear seat of the Lin. How does that happen. I think things moved from the trunk to under the rear seat.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did the trunk and spare tire area. Tire had ~13# of air. Pic of the trunk looks like it was never used. The cargo net anchors are removed to take the liner up for the spare. Pic of the area without the liner and note the fuel pump access cover. And they use a rack for the jack and lug wrench. Such as it is. Not a bad system all except for the lug wrench. But the lugs are 19mm same as my others and I have real sockets and handles.

Found ID from the previous owner in the owners guide. He is just 4 years younger than I so he is suited for Buick. :D

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today got the PA stickers of the glass. They have super glue sticky and real pain. Got the NY reg sticker on but was a bit of a trick too. It wanted to curl and not stay flat enough to get it to the bottom of the glass. I cut a piece of cardboard to lay the sticker on and slid it in place then pushed it up to stick. Have to re-do in May as it transferred my old reg to this car and that is when it was to be redone. Now to get it inspected as my 10 day temp inspection waver expires. Was inspected Jan 25 in PA. License plates were reused, I think this is the 4th car they have been on so they look a bit used. Found some screws in my hoard of bolts and such to do the plates.

Have to get used to some things. Front doors open much wider than the Lin but have 3 detents. Best I open only to the second so I can reach the door handle to close the door. Trunk open really wide (high) and hard to reach to close.

-chart-

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looked at the inspection sticker. Was done 1-25 and on 1-26 when I bought it, 543 more miles. Somebody was on the road.

-chart-

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My cheat sheet and my plug check. The plug did not have any anti-seize on it and no compound in the boot. Boot stuck rather tight. Plug looks good. It is aluminum head engine, and the plug uses all the threads so you crank and crank on the ratchet.

Of course each brand has it's own "can't be like others" so auto tecs have to be on their best attention to not make errors. :angry: Cylinders fire the same as our Bulls BUT they name them different, so I printed a sheet to keep in my book. I get confused easily.:lol2: And I put on the sheet which bank is #1.

The parking brake sticking on one side seems to be gone. I'm gonna guess the OE owner had not been using it. And for what it is worth, system in the rears much like Bulls in the caliper and PK brake. PK brake adjusts the pads. Skip the parking brake and you have excess pedal travel as time passes. Of course this car had new rotors and pads when I got it.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,832 Posts
I wonder if NGK Iridium plugs work as well in the GM V6 engines as they do in the Tecs? Do you have to pull the upper intake to get at the rear bank plugs like it is necessary to do on the 04+ Tecs with COP?

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wonder if NGK Iridium plugs work as well in the GM V6 engines as they do in the Tecs? Do you have to pull the upper intake to get at the rear bank plugs like it is necessary to do on the 04+ Tecs with COP?
This is iron block, aluminum heads, pushrod, 60 degree. It replaced a 90 degree (3.8L) so more room in the back. Just turned 60K so I will likely never need to do the plugs anyway. If I wanted to, I would buy a half set of OE wires and cut the boots on the old ones to get them off. ~$20 for half set on RA. First time I ever heard of half set of wires but there is a first time for everything. Intake is aluminum and low profile so looks like no problem getting to the back. I think one could lay on top of the intake.

-chart-

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,009 Posts
I wouldn’t have minded a half set of wires when I had to replace the rear bank due to carbon tracking.

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^ Chart, do you have a 3.6 or 3.9 in the Buick?
3.9 only V-6 in '09-'12. How they can get up to 240HP out of 3.9 pushrod engine is something else. From the 3.8 to 3.9 they take the peak torque from ~4K to ~3K and flatten it out. Also take max rpm from 5500 to 6500. In my op, they have taken pushrod engines to the limit and all should go to all aluminum OHC. Mine has very good acceleration across the range.

My first experience with throttle by wire though. I can tell it throttles back during any shift over super light. Cruise control is instant and seamless.

So far happy with it.

-chart-

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
^+1. That drive-by-wire throttle is a different animal, lol. I have it on my '12/'13 Impalas. I've been told to never work the butterfly by hand to clean as it can be damaged. Supposed to leave it hooked up and open/close with the accelerator. The Impalas have the 3.6 VVT DOHC LFX engine with 6-speed automatic. I like the 305hp. They're not as pretty as your Buick and probably don't have near as comfy ride.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts