Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Opened it up, cleaned parts, greased the moving parts.
Removed others things lost in the black hole. Papers and a Handicapped Tag from some old coot born in 1929.
Going back together with clean parts.
Project requires a bit of care and steady hand. Dropping screws is not a good thing.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
11,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Opened it up, cleaned parts, greased the moving parts.
Removed others things lost in the black hole. Papers and a Handicapped Tag from some old coot born in 1929.
Going back together with clean parts.
Project requires a bit of care and steady hand. Dropping screws is not a good thing.
-chart-
Parts clean and ready to go back on.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
11,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
For a very minimum rust vehicle, I was surprised I could not get a wheel off. I wanted to check the brake pad condition. I loosened the lugs, raised it up but could not get the wheel to move.
I put the lugs back on, loosened them up half a turn. Dropped it down, ran it back and forth, hit the brakes and checked the lugs and they were still free. So I drove it out to the street, (dead end) and turned it tight and hit the brakes couple times, reversed the direction and did the same and pulled back in the drive. Now the lugs were not loose. Jacked it up removed the lugs, and could wiggle the wheel off with several jogs. Pic before cleaning and after. I used my Dremel vibrating sander with the triangle sanding pad. I used my Dremel rotary tool with half inch sanding drum and went around the hub. Put spray lube on a rag and rubbed the flat surface, used a Q-tip and put grease on the hub. I also used the sanding drum and went around the wheel bore. Going back on it was still a bit snug but OK. Three more to go.
The tires have 4500 miles on them so they have been off. That was 1.5 years ago. I am going to guess these have been pressure washed or car wash getting water in there.
I will do the other 3 wheels all at one time.
First time I have ever had this. There is also a chance water has gotten in through the emblem caps on the wheels.
-chart-
Body very low rust. Wheels a bit stuck. Removed brake pads, and rotors, cleaned up and put back.
Pic of guide pins, not stuck but trouble is on the way. So likely rust belt is not the only reason guide pins stick.
Guide pins on RA low cost, boots low cost also.
Bad guide pins will make for bad mpg and rapid pad wear. The pads and rotors ~10K miles and were put on 11-18.
-chart-

Attachments

21 - 23 of 23 Posts