Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought today. Long hard day, 280 miles each way not counting back tracking due to bad accident blocking traffic for miles.
Daughter went and we took the Buick, and kept together.
7 am this morn, 10:00 pm this evening.
-chart-

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
’04 Sable LS Premium.
160K miles, very clean.
DOHC, Auto lamps, EATC, sun roof, ABS, TCS, MACH sound, 6 cd changer, power pas seat, 4K on Cont Pro tires.
No smoking, no wrecks, history good maint. 3 owner.
All in mid VA so low rust.
On the negative:
Antenna broken, rotors surface rust looks like been sitting a while. Mirror loose.
Some corrosion on allow wheels.
Long hard day, day to recover and I am not back to normal. Total time tick less than 15 hours, Buick says 576 miles, 47.0 mph average, 25.6 mpg. So that is running 12.25 hours. On the way home, Daughter drove lead in the Buick with her GPS phone. Twice she got off the interstate suddenly and off a ramp. Stopped traffic and she found local roads around. I am following in the wagon and could see stopped traffic as far as I could see.

Pics tomorrow.
-chart-

·
Registered
2000 Sable Wagon LS with OEM sunroof
102 Posts
"Sun roof" very, very few wagons with one. My sunroof works great and no leaks - but you have to keep the two front drains clean. It doesn't take much crud to clog the drains that come out behind the front wheel covers. I use an old lawn mower throttle cable that is flexible yet stiff enough.

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pics, one might note no decal on the front fender. Also pic of the view of the car lot. N/S road is main road R#15. The green arrow is a street 1st SW but it is an alley with no business addresses. You can turn into the alley from the S but not the N. To do that, you need to turn E on the 4 lane at the top of the pic, drive through the one way parking of the post office then you can get there. To exit the lane, and turn south, you turn right, go the light and U-Turn at the light on the U-Turn light. The rusty roof building is a car wash. To get to the car dealers you pass through the parking lot of the car wash which is a legal street with addresses. There are 6 car dealers sharing the lot and a glass shop. There is a red arrow to the office of the dealer that I bought from.
That alley called 1st street dead ends at a home store. Far right of the picture.
Every dealer I have seen wants to be on a well traveled street and line up their cars on the "front row".
This car is is Carfax as no damage. The front fender has been off but does not show any paint around the edges. Bolt/washer do not align with the circles on the body. Likely not the OE fender but since the pin stripe aligns perfect and is aged the same, may be a JY fender.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For a very minimum rust vehicle, I was surprised I could not get a wheel off. I wanted to check the brake pad condition. I loosened the lugs, raised it up but could not get the wheel to move.
I put the lugs back on, loosened them up half a turn. Dropped it down, ran it back and forth, hit the brakes and checked the lugs and they were still free. So I drove it out to the street, (dead end) and turned it tight and hit the brakes couple times, reversed the direction and did the same and pulled back in the drive. Now the lugs were not loose. Jacked it up removed the lugs, and could wiggle the wheel off with several jogs. Pic before cleaning and after. I used my Dremel vibrating sander with the triangle sanding pad. I used my Dremel rotary tool with half inch sanding drum and went around the hub. Put spray lube on a rag and rubbed the flat surface, used a Q-tip and put grease on the hub. I also used the sanding drum and went around the wheel bore. Going back on it was still a bit snug but OK. Three more to go.
The tires have 4500 miles on them so they have been off. That was 1.5 years ago. I am going to guess these have been pressure washed or car wash getting water in there.
I will do the other 3 wheels all at one time.
First time I have ever had this. There is also a chance water has gotten in through the emblem caps on the wheels.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today/yesterday fixed the windshield washer hose. It was missing. From the connection at the top of the strut tower to the pas side spray, just missing, pulled out of the fitting. I made up a hose with plastic barbs and epoxy to the fittings. Sat overnight and it sprayed only a brief and quit. Looked under and the hard plastic had come out of the fitting at pas side spray and goes to the driver's side. Just slipped out. 2 part epoxy and put it back. These OE plastic should be glued in the fittings. These just pull out easily.
Took the pas front wheel off, and the rotor and pads. Wheel stuck hard on the hub. Loosened the lugs, turn to touch and loosen half turn. Ran the car back and forth and hit the brakes hard. Jacked it up and had to still push and tug to get the wheel off. The corrosion only on the wheel/hub. Rotor and all else no unusual rust, rotor came off easily. All cleaned and sanded where needed. I pulled the guide pins. Swabbed old grease from the bore and re-greased. Removed the boots, cleaned and lubed the pins. They look good. Old grease was hard or sticky.
Only 3 more wheels to clean brakes. This will last me a life time.

-chart-

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Sun roof" very, very few wagons with one. My sunroof works great and no leaks - but you have to keep the two front drains clean. It doesn't take much crud to clog the drains that come out behind the front wheel covers. I use an old lawn mower throttle cable that is flexible yet stiff enough.
Thanks for that. I opened the glass, and poured half of a drinking water bottle in, it ran out both front and back quickly. Other side the same. This car from the South but not a pine needle area. Those are a real pain.
-chart-

·
Registered
210 Posts
’04 Sable LS Premium.
160K miles, very clean.
DOHC, Auto lamps, EATC, sun roof, ABS, TCS, MACH sound, 6 cd changer, power pas seat, 4K on Cont Pro tires.
No smoking, no wrecks, history good maint. 3 owner.
All in mid VA so low rust.
On the negative:
Antenna broken, rotors surface rust looks like been sitting a while. Mirror loose.
Some corrosion on allow wheels.
Long hard day, day to recover and I am not back to normal. Total time tick less than 15 hours, Buick says 576 miles, 47.0 mph average, 25.6 mpg. So that is running 12.25 hours. On the way home, Daughter drove lead in the Buick with her GPS phone. Twice she got off the interstate suddenly and off a ramp. Stopped traffic and she found local roads around. I am following in the wagon and could see stopped traffic as far as I could see.

Pics tomorrow.
-chart-
My record for straight thru from home (near Batavia NY) to Golden Colorado(alone). Left 5 am my time arrived 230am their time. Woke my buddy up when i crossed into colorado and told him my next call be from his front door. The last couple hours was rough. Plan was to stop and sleep in my van...but the best laid plans...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for that. I opened the glass, and poured half of a drinking water bottle in, it ran out both front and back quickly. Other side the same. This car from the South but not a pine needle area. Those are a real pain.
-chart-
I bought our 2007 Taurus in Tennesse. Rust free but not pine needle free. I was pulling them out of the underhood vent area by the hand full! Still find some in crevices here and there. The several inch long type bonded in 3's

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
416 Posts
’04 Sable LS Premium.
160K miles, very clean.
I'd love to have a sunroof, leather, and power passenger seat. Don't know what TCS is.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Traction control. Not common on Bulls.
-chart-
I was thinking traction control system but I thought it wasn't available on these until later years. Wow.

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My record for straight thru from home (near Batavia NY) to Golden Colorado(alone). Left 5 am my time arrived 230am their time. Woke my buddy up when i crossed into colorado and told him my next call be from his front door. The last couple hours was rough. Plan was to stop and sleep in my van...but the best laid plans...
Pic of common traffic in Cincinnati mid day. So, our trip through Harrisburg PA. daughter got us off and took back roads twice to miss accident on I-83 and R#22. Next day our son called and said I-71 out of Northern KY to Louisville, truck turned over and road blocked. He crossed the median and got back to an exit and called me. I looked at the traffic map and had him go back to I-75 and then to Lexington and take I-64 to Louisville. He said estimated wreck to take 6 hours to clear. Last year he got in similar on I-90 near Cleveland and he crossed over and got of an exit. He called and said GPS has no solution and he did not know where he was but there was a McD and gas station. I looked at the map, talked him through local road and ~10 miles and he was on I-275.
Somehow I think this is getting worse.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Getting around to checking the back. Gonna keep this pic so when I need to put this back I can get it in order. Never saw double nut on the anchor before.
Not used very hard. I will put it to work.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Never trust the clock on any car you are not sure of.
Been caught more than once. Cell phone is the best.
-chart-

·
Registered
416 Posts
Never trust the clock on any car you are not sure of.
Been caught more than once. Cell phone is the best.
-chart-
Late for Father's Day brunch?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts