Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I charged my 2000 Mercury Sable A/C unit and it was fine except on really hot days it takes forever for the air coming from the vents to get cold. On cool days it blows out really cold air. What can cause that to happen? I'm leaning toward air in the system. Any info will be appreciated.....thanks.

·
Registered
955 Posts
QUOTE (bob10345 @ Jun 1 2010, 07:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808333
I charged my 2000 Mercury Sable A/C unit and it was fine except on really hot days it takes forever for the air coming from the vents to get cold. On cool days it blows out really cold air. What can cause that to happen? I'm leaning toward air in the system. Any info will be appreciated.....thanks.[/b]

An undercharged system will blow cool, not cold air, however, here is the trick that most people don't think about... an overcharged system will do the same thing!

The only way to know if your system is 'properly charged' is by renting (or buying) a gauge set (both HIGH-Red and LOW-blue gauges). Placing them on the High and Low side with the car running and A/C on MAX will tell you whether the pressures are proper.

The other thing that contributes is the cabin air and what color body your car is. There is a reason why Silver and White are colors that sell best in Florida. Darker cars will just be hotter than lighter colored cars with the same A/C system. Tinting the windows does help too!

Also, I remember a study coming out that most people just get in their cars and blast the A/C even when the cabin is really hot. Rolling your windows down and getting the hot air out of the car for 10 minutes will do a world of good.

·
Registered
214 Posts
When you turn on your A/C, can you hear the compressor kick on?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
QUOTE (bob10345 @ Jun 1 2010, 06:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808333
I charged my 2000 Mercury Sable A/C unit and it was fine except on really hot days it takes forever for the air coming from the vents to get cold. On cool days it blows out really cold air. What can cause that to happen? I'm leaning toward air in the system. Any info will be appreciated.....thanks.[/b]
Make sure you back flushed the condenser and radiator up front.
crud can build up.
make sure the fins as as straight as you can get them

do you have gauges to read the pressures?

bob

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
hi

most important, get a good thermometer digital or dial no matter,

place it in middle of vent in car, windows all down, a/c on max temp on cold.

let us know what the temp is.

you may just have a small leak at the garter spring couplers,
just need to have it topped off.

another thing to look at is to make sure the cut off switch and
hi pressure switch are snug in the fittings, otherwise they can leak
refrigerant gas.

another thing to remember, temperature is inversely proportional to pressure,
too little or too much pressure (R134a in the system) is not good.

regards,

james

1 - 5 of 5 Posts