Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok so i just got it today. drove it home and load tested it. It reads 14-13.9 with no load. If i turn on all accessories it drops to below 13. around 12.6 iirc. Should i go ahead and replace the alternator? he had it replaced 6 months ago Its the 1998 3.0 duratec.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
12v is normal so ur fine.

Mine personally rests @ 15.5 drops to low 14ish high 13ish with lights, A/C and bass hitting @ 3/4 volume. Stock Alt, red top under the hood, xs power master 3100 in the trunk and 1/0 cable through out the whole system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
12v is normal so ur fine.

Mine personally rests @ 15.5 drops to low 14ish high 13ish with lights, A/C and bass hitting @ 3/4 volume. Stock Alt, red top under the hood, xs power master 3100 in the trunk and 1/0 cable through out the whole system.
Im pretty sure that it should always be in 13+ volts. This is to the fact of if you voltege is less that your battery your discharging your battery and not charging it. Will try "the big 3" and get back to you although the wires look pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Im pretty sure that it should always be in 13+ volts. This is to the fact of if you voltege is less that your battery your discharging your battery and not charging it. Will try "the big 3" and get back to you although the wires look pretty good.
How old is the battery? Might just be time for a new one, they don't last forever. You can take it to be tested for free at most ford dealerships. Regardless it wouldn't hurt to do "big three" and alt to battery. While the stock size is fine, using a bigger gauge provides better current flow with less resistance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How old is the battery? Might just be time for a new one, they don't last forever. You can take it to be tested for free at most ford dealerships. Regardless it wouldn't hurt to do "big three" and alt to battery. While the stock size is fine, using a bigger gauge provides better current flow with less resistance.

Brand new. whats happening is he said it would run great then once a month it would just not start back up because the battery was dead. i have not had it die on me but i also havent driven it far because i dont get the title till tommo so the tags are his name

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Hmm, well take a simple fuse tester... or a DMM and test your mega fuse. (you cants look at to and tell its blown) u need to test it. If thats it you got luck, if not then have the alternator tested. If its not the alternator.... it might be a short. ALTHOUGH... here answer me this... when it does die.. what kinda sound does it make? click -click-click-click means battery is dead or low. click-dead means starter or starter relay (which might be fixin to go out).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, well take a simple fuse tester... or a DMM and test your mega fuse. (you cants look at to and tell its blown) u need to test it. If thats it you got luck, if not then have the alternator tested. If its not the alternator.... it might be a short. ALTHOUGH... here answer me this... when it does die.. what kinda sound does it make? click -click-click-click means battery is dead or low. click-dead means starter or starter relay (which might be fixin to go out).
I haent had it personally die yet. it was a good friend of mine. it kept dieng once a month and that makes sense to me because he would have a/c rear defrost etc on so then it brought it down

1 - 8 of 8 Posts