Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I changed the front three spark plugs today in my 97 taurus lx. i removed the left side upper and lower cowl like the guide on here says, and there's just no way you can get to the bolts to remove the coil pack, much less get to the back plugs.

am i missing something? there's no way i'd attempt to remove the upper intake manifold. wayyyyy too difficult for me. but i don't wanna just leave the back three in there (the front three were shot..corroded and burnt and a gap of about 5.99).

if there's something i'm not doing, please help! again, i removed the upper and lower cowl on the passenger side of the car (left, looking at it from the front). does the right side need to come off too? even then, i can't see how i could get to it.

ANY help would be great. I tried a search and didn't find anything helpful.

i know you guy's will come through in the clutch. thanks for reading, and for any advice.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
did my smart ass remark (hear me out before you say "search") piss ya'll off?

hope not, i could really use some help on this one.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
man i was really hoping someone would be able to point out what i was missing (if anything). a final plea here, folks. any help would be great, cuz the way the tutorial on here says it just don't work.

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I don't know much about the Duratec, but I do know that in most cases, even though removing the UIM seems like a PITA and a waste of time, it really makes things easier in the end. On the SHO, there's no way around it... changing the spark plugs is a MAJOR deal. That's why Ford and the dealerships use double platinum plugs... so you only have to change them out every 50-60K (even though the owner's manual says 100K.)

Did you try checking out the Haynes or Chilton manuals?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think autozone.com crops out haynes guides onto their website. on there, it says to remove the right side cowl and then the coil pack to get to the 1,2, and 3 plugs. on here, it says remove the left side. i think both may have to come off, and even then it's gonna be a PITA.

i won't take the UIT off...i'm just not that mechanically inclined. i'd break something, and i'm all the time seeing on here how so and so had to replace a gasket, or a sensor, or a stripped/broken bolt. not worth it to me.

thanks anyway i guess. i'll try to take the entire cowl off and see what i can do from there. maybe if i get it done i'll take the time to write a tutorial on it...the one here is helpful, sure, to get you started...but it just doesn't make any sense once you get the cowl off. no way you could get to the plugs the way he says to.

thanks again.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I don't know what the difference is between the GenIII and the GenIV but Several people on here have said you have to remove all that stuff on the GenIV also.

I changed the plugs on 00 Duratec and it wasn't that hard. The rear had to be done by feel but I did it. Someone else said they did it too.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Watch out for the Haynes manual. Several sections in the gen 3 Taurus/Sable manual are actually for the Contour, not the Taurus. The section on removing the UIM is one of them.

I removed the UIM to change my plugs. I have heard it can be done from the side, but I wouldn't do it that way :D Of course, it's what you are comfortable with. To remove the driver side lower cowling you will need to pull out the wiper motor.

While you have out the passenger side cowling, you may want to replace the cabin air filter that will be exposed.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I have never had bad luck with the Haynes manual or find that there are things that are written for a car other than the Taurus/Sable.

I also have heard that you can change the plugs from the side, but you'd need a half dozen adapters and elbows, not to mention the fact that you wouldn't be able to see anything, and could possibly get the plug socket stuck down in the plug holes...

JR

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
...not to mention how easy it is to cross-thread a plug on an aluminum head! :ph34r: If you think pulling the UIM is a PITA, try tapping the head for Heli-Coils without getting metal shavings down in the cylinder. And even if the Haynes manual is only good for one job, it's still worth the $15.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I really don't want to remove the UIM. Too many things can go wrong, get broken. Sure you can crossthread a plug doing it blind, but if you're careful you don't have to.

I'm thinking of just paying someone to do it. I'm gonna try it myself first from the side, but if i can't get it i'll just take it to a garage.

thanks for all the input. its appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Make sure that if you do it from the side, you cover the fenders up with something so that you don't scratch the crap out of the paint...

Also, if you take it to have someone do it, how do you know that they changed the rear plugs and didn't just leave the old ones in???

JR

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jul 22 2004, 01:20 PM
Sixfo...what do the Heli-coils do??? Any why didn't you take the heads off the engine if you were tapping the head?

JR
Heli-coils are used to repair stripped threads. Yout drill out and tap the hole larger than it needs to be, and then you insert the Heli-coil to reduce the threads to the right size. I had to use them on my LIM when installing my phenolic spacer.

G

·
LoadedLX, the best and I believe only way to remove and replace (R&R) Spark Plugs in a Duratec motor. Is to remove the Upper Intake Plenum. All it is, is 6 bolts, Intake Hose, and EGR Valve removal. Then it popps right off. Replace in the same motion, but dont over tighten those intake manifold bolts. (7lbs-ft torque) Good luck. I got some pics if you would like to see. I'll post them here in a second.

SableSal

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
really? the tutorial on here said some **** about removing all kinds of sensors and hoses and wires and clamps and all that other ****. i read a post about a guy who changed his plugs and now his car won't run because he busted a vacuum line.

i don't wanna mess with those problems. but if its 6 bolts, the intake hose and the EGR valve, I'll go for it.

Now, I'm assuming the 6 bolts are on the UIM. the intake hose...you mean the big 3" one goin' to the airbox, right? (might sound stupid, but i like to make absolutely sure of everything...my car hasn't broken down yet, and I dont intend to start now because I didn't ask questions :) ). the EGR valve...i have no idea what that is.

point me in the right direction, maybe?

thanks, SableSal, for the help and pics. approximately how long does something like that take?

thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jul 22 2004, 03:20 PM
Any why didn't you take the heads off the engine if you were tapping the head?
You would have to take the head(s) off for that job... that was kinda my point. You can try to change the plugs w/o removing the UIM, but if you've never done it before, it could wind up being a disaster. I've never been unfortunate enough to have to tap anything on any of my engines.

G

·
Ok LoadedLX, here it is as promised.

This is the EGR Valve, and the two bolts you have to remove.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/380000-380999/380592_141_full.jpg' alt='' width='575' height='431' class='attach' />[/url]

You're going to want to remove the Air Intake Hoses, and air lines.
(my setup is a bit different then yours. But you should get the point)
[url=http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/380000-380999/380592_145_full.jpg][img]http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/380000-380999/380592_145_full.jpg' alt='' width='575' height='431' class='attach' />[/url]

One you remove this you can move on to the Upper Intake Plenum's mounting bolts. Be careful, also make sure the vehicle is COOL. Remember this is Aluminum!!!
[url=http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/380000-380999/380592_142_full.jpg][img]http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/380000-380999/380592_142_full.jpg' alt='' width='575' height='431' class='attach' />[/url]

Now there is a component on the side of the Intake Plenum that you're going to want to remove for easier access.
Remove just the two bolts that mount it to the plenum.
[url=http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/380000-380999/380592_143_full.jpg][img]http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/380000-380999/380592_143_full.jpg' alt='' width='575' height='431' class='attach' />[/url]

Also you'll notice that there are some vacuum lines that you will have to remove on the "under-side" of the Intake Plenum. (Note: These lines will most likely be hardened due to engine heat. Keep replacement hose near, you will most likely want to replace it at this time).
(Sorry LoadedLX, this is the best I can do with this pic. But those vacuum lines will most likely be around here)
[url=http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/380000-380999/380592_144_full.jpg][img]http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/380000-380999/380592_144_full.jpg' alt='' width='575' height='431' class='attach' />[/url]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts