Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I bought an 08 Taurus Limited and I love almost everything about it. Except one thing. The tail lights on this thing are hideous. I absolutely hate clear tail lights. There are cars that clear tail lights look good on and I don't think this is one of them. I would really like to swap the tail lights for the ones off a 2005-07 Mercury Montego. They were red LED with a separate orange turn signal. I honestly think that'd look a lot better with the Montego lights vs the stock ones. How possible is it and what would I need to do it?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I own a Montego, and I have to agree. I love the tails.

Isnt your turn and brake the same light? If they are that side of the swap wouldnt work.

The other issue you may run into is that the BCM on the Montego was programmed for the LED's, if you were able to plug them in, I would think that you would get the hyper flash because of the LED lights.

·
Registered
344 Posts
So I'm unsure of the tail light differences between these two cars, but anything is possible.

However, @TollKeeper has brought up an interesting point. If the tail lights are LED in the Montego, that's an immediate no go even with programming. The voltage the wiring loom will send to the tail lights will blow the LEDs immediately since it still thinks the halogen style tail lights are in place. You'd have to make a voltage box to trick the BCM into thinking the car is off (just for the tail light signal) and have the Montego lights mounted in with their own independent wiring and balasts. Unfortunately, this would all be involved if they are LED and your current tail lights are halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So I almost did this to my 08 taurus before I bought my newer SHO. The BCM can be programmed for rear LEDs so there is no hyper flash, and I am 99 percent certain the LED tails also run on 12v (same as if you were to replace the halogen bulb with an LED). The wiring diagram for the Montego does not indicate any other voltages other than 12v in this area.

There are some differences between the 2 tail lights though. The Taurus light does not have a dedicated blinker like the Montego does. All it takes is some re-wiring to get that to work, BUT the taurus uses the blinker feed as the brake light as well, so the LEDs will blink along with the dedicated blinker if you decide to use it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts