Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front main seal is leaking.

Is this an easy fix? Is it as simple as pulling out the crank pully and changing it out?

I swear, I thought I made a topic like this, but I can't find it. Maybe I just mentioned it in a post in another topic somewhere, I can't remember and the search turned up nothing. Only thing I could find was when I posted pics of all the crap going wrong under my car.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Nope, that's your oil pan gasket. Vulcans had a tendency to do this. You'll need to remove the starter and the y-pipe, then the oil pan, and replace the gasket. Depending on the condition of the y pipe it may or may not be an easy job.

·
Registered
799 Posts
If Rudy says it, it has to be true. :)

I forgot to add, check your PCV valve when you do this too. On the few I've repaired, a couple of them had plugged PCV valves, which may or may not have caused the gasket creeping problem. Not really sure, but it won't hurt to check.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Oil pan gasket is really easy. The hardest part is getting the Y-pipe of the rear exhaust manifold and getting to the O2 sensor connectors. After that, it's cake. I did mine a couple weeks ago, and with two people it took under two hours, and most of that was struggling with the Y-pipe, since one of the studs was stuck.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, well what do ya know, it is the pan gasket. I just saw a round seal poking out near the crank pully and didn't think for another second. Now that you say it I realize that's part of the pan.

Well, I already knew that the pan gasket is leaking in other spots, so there is less work to do than I thought to prevent my oil from leaking. That Y-pipe will be a pain in the ass though. Luckily, I just changed the bolts going through the Y-Pipe flange so I don't have to deal with severe rust like I would othewise have had to.

Will the new gasket I just put in still be good? And is the gasket that sits between the Y-Pipe and flex tube the same as the gaskets that go between the headers and the two ends of the Y-Pipe?

and I can only assume that the PCV valve is in bad shape. I've never had it changed and I bet when I bought the car it hadn't been changed in a while. That's an easy fix.

BTW, how much do PCV valves go for? I figure it can only be a few bucks, right?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Well, I already knew that the pan gasket is leaking in other spots, so there is less work to do than I thought to prevent my oil from leaking. That Y-pipe will be a pain in the ass though. Luckily, I just changed the bolts going through the Y-Pipe flange so I don't have to deal with severe rust like I would othewise have had to.[/b]
If you just changed the bolts at the bottom, its possible you'll have some problems at the manifold.

Will the new gasket I just put in still be good?[/b]
It should be, provided you don't accidentally mess it up.
And is the gasket that sits between the Y-Pipe and flex tube the same as the gaskets that go between the headers and the two ends of the Y-Pipe?[/b]
No, there are no gaskets at the ends of the manifolds, they should be just flanged. And they are NOT headers, they are exhaust manifolds.

I can only assume that the PCV valve is in bad shape.[/b]
not necessarily

BTW, how much do PCV valves go for? I figure it can only be a few bucks, right?[/b]
yes

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you just changed the bolts at the bottom, its possible you'll have some problems at the manifold.
[/b]
I've taken a look at them before. They've got some rust, but they looked in tact, unlike the ones at the flex tube, which were so corroded that I couldn't get a wrench on them, I had to cut them out.

they are NOT headers, they are exhaust manifolds.
[/b]
I know. I just always seem to interchange the terms. When I had a lot less knowledge (when I was like, 12 I think) I thought they were all called headers. So it kinda has me stuck in the habit of calling them headers instead of exhaust mainifolds.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wondering it it would make sense to go into a muffler shop and get the studs and nuts renewed so you can drop it and bolt it back up at home.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Whoops. Somehow I posted on a real old thread. But how about it? What’s the best way to deal will 15 year old exhaust systems?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sounds like a great idea to have the shop guys fight it for you! Rust and broken bolts are a giant pain in the unmentionables...

Of course, if the shop is going to get the exhaust off, I think I might just pay them a few bucks more to do the pan gasket while the oil pan is exposed, rather than taking it back apart when I got it home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts