Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have asked this before. for my 96 GL.

I want to change the front sway bar end links. But not sure If I can do it DIY...

Can someone tell me. ? I think the nuts there are 18 mm. I am thinking of buying a good 18 mm socket and using my ratchet...

I dont have jack stands... Can I do it with out taking the wheels off or jacking up?

also. how much should labour be if I want this changed at a shop? I get the end links.

pl I need to know this?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
it's not too hard to DIY.

You need jack stands though. Go to Walmart and buy some. Sometimes you can find a small floor jack and two jack stands as a bundle for about $40.

You will need to raise and support the car, remove the wheels. You need a 18mm wrench and 10mm (IIRC). Use the 10mm to hold the stud in place and the 18mm to loosen the retaining nut on the top and the bottom. Replace with the new ones and tighten down.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thx.
guess even if i do invest in jack stands and do this job diy, it will be cheaper than going to a shop. ok

btw I have never used jack stands.. is there anything tricky?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i found TRW 18194 & TRW 18195 end links for 24 bucks a piece at advance auto parts.

do they sound right

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
On our cars, jack stands can be a little tricky the first few times, but it's not a big deal.

ALWAYS make sure you are on flat level ground.

Make sure you leave enough room for the stands when you choose a place for the jack. You can use the area where the subframe is bolted onto the car as a jack point, for sure. You might be able to use the small reinforced ridge under the front floorpan, but make sure you don't bend anything up as you jack the car up. The easiest place for the jackstand is under the little notch they cut out for the jack that came with the car.

Now, the tricky part is to lower the jack VERY slowly (just barely open up the valve) so that you don't drop the car onto the jackstand and crunch your rocker panel. When it gets close, make sure the stand is postioned just right before lowering the car onto it. It might bend the metal right where the notch is, but that's normal.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Or, as I like saying, just jack the car up, take the wheel off, study the thing, put the wheel back on and take the end links off while THE CAR IS ON THE ROAD.

I don't know how to get this through to people; it takes a little bit of aerobics to get in there, but getting the thing out is SO much easier when the sway bar isn't under tension.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Originally posted by biteableniles@Dec 10 2003, 04:49 PM
Or, as I like saying, just jack the car up, take the wheel off, study the thing, put the wheel back on and take the end links off while THE CAR IS ON THE ROAD.

I don't know how to get this through to people; it takes a little bit of aerobics to get in there, but getting the thing out is SO much easier when the sway bar isn't under tension.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree. I changed the sway bar end links on my 94 while it was sitting on the ground with the wheels on it. What I did was turn the wheel all the way to one direction to allow access to one link, replace it, then turn the wheel all the way to the other side to allow access again. No problem what-so-ever.

If you want, I would recommend jacking up the car, taking off the wheel, and checking out the situation. Then when you know what you are looking for, you can put everything back together, put it on the ground and take care of it.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds good. thx. Y i check that. turning the wheen all the way to ob

btw I think I need an 8mm & 18 mm open end wrench. 8 mm to hold the stud and 18 mm to loosen the nut. ?

can any one give the exact details..

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anyone confirm the size of the wrenchs.. i need to get the 18 mm from walmart tomm.

also any idea what the cost of the end links from the dealer is?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by biteableniles@Dec 10 2003, 04:49 PM

Just my 2 cents.
Well, if you have both sides of the car up on jack stands, there is no tension whatsoever. It is exactly the same as having the car on flat ground.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hoz that.. .. when on stands.. the front wheels are off the ground and the spring is stretched out..

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is that stretched position the natural position where the sway bar wont exert any pressure on the links..?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
The only way the sway bar is under tension (actually torsion) is when one side is exerting more pressure than the other. If both wheels are up, or both are down, the bar will simply pivot on it's axis (where the bar-to-chassis bushings are) and there will be no net force on the end links. When one side is raised, and the other is not, then there will be significant torsion on the bar. That is the point of having a sway bar. When you encounter a cornering situation, the sway bar puts a tension force on one end link, and a compression force on the opposite link. Depending on the thickness of the sway bar, it will flex somewhat and allow the car to lean away from the direction of the cornering manuever. Without the sway bar, the car would lean alot more, and you would lose traction on the inner wheels as the car's center of gravity moves toward the outer wheels.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon+Dec 13 2003, 01:15 AM-->QUOTE (SixFoFalcon @ Dec 13 2003, 01:15 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-biteableniles
@Dec 10 2003, 04:49 PM

Just my 2 cents.
Well, if you have both sides of the car up on jack stands, there is no tension whatsoever. It is exactly the same as having the car on flat ground. [/b]
Hey! I never thought of that! That's a pretty good suggestion, and assuming its true, makes it sound a lot easier than even my method!

So, pick your pie: without jackstands, do it on the ground; with, do it while both sides are off the ground.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@Dec 13 2003, 12:11 AM
anyone confirm the size of the wrenchs.. i need to get the 18 mm from walmart tomm.

also any idea what the cost of the end links from the dealer is?
18mm is correct, and I believe it was a little less than 20 bucks each, although they may be up to 36 each (this is the cost, I believe, of the Moogs, and I remembered being mad that the OEM swaybars were compairable...)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts