Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well heres my problem guys, I went to back out the bolt that holts the rear passenger subframe mount in and it came out about 3/4 of the way, then the bolt, which is attached up inside of the frame broke lose from the metal tabs that were holding it in place (so now the nut at the end is turning with the bolt when i try to take it out.) . Now there is now way for my to back out the bolt anymore. So I go to the dealership and the man there tells me there is an access hole located through the inside in the floor of my car. So I go to the passenger side and pull up all the carpeting and there is no access hole. Is there actually not one? How the hell do I get this bolt out now! I need my car back on the road so any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The man at the dealership probably figured that your Taurus had the Subframe Recall Service 98S36 performed on it. This service entails, among other things, cutting holes in the driver's and passenger's floor so that new subframe mount plates and hardware (nuts & bolts) can be installed.

Do you have your '95 Taurus registered in one of the "rust belt" states? If so, Ford is obligated to perform the service free of charge.

NHTSA Campaign ID number : 98V323000

Make / Model: Years:
FORD / TAURUS 1986-1995

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 98V323000 Recall Date : DEC 15, 1998
Component: STRUCTURE:FRAME AND MEMBERS
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 26970

Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD, OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED, IN CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KANSAS, KENTUCKY, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEBRASKA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGNIA, AND WISCONSIN.

THE REAR LOWER SUBFRAME MOUNT PLATE NUT CAN EXPERIENCE STRESS CORROSION CRACKING IF SUBJECTED TO LONG TERM EXPOSURE TO ROAD SALTS. THIS CAN RESULT IN FRACTURE AND LOSS OF THE STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY OF THE SUBFRAME MOUNT ATTACHMENT. DETACHMENT OF THE BODY MOUNTS AT THE REAR CORNERS OF THE SUBFRAME, WHICH SUPPORTS THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION, ALLOWS THE REAR CORNERS OF THE SUBFRAME TO DROP.

Consequence:
IF BOTH REAR CORNERS DROP, STEERING WOULD BECOME SUDDENLY VERY DIFFICULT, AFFECTING VEHICLE CONTROL AND INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL SUBFRAME REAR MOUNT BOLTS, REINFORCEMENT PLATES, AND PLATE NUTS.

Notes:
NOTE: THIS RECALL CAMPAIGN SUPERCEDES RECALL CAMPAIGN 93V-106. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN JANUARY 18, 1999. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

P.S. If your dealer plays dumb or tries to say that the safety recall has expired (it hasn't), then you can download and/or print supporting documents from here to give to them:

http://152.122.48.12/prepos/files/Artemis/...C-98V323-NN.PDF

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by rockledge@Jan 21 2004, 09:00 PM
The man at the dealership probably figured that your Taurus had the Subframe Recall Service 98S36 performed on it. This service entails, among other things, cutting holes in the driver's and passenger's floor so that new subframe mount plates and hardware (nuts & bolts) can be installed.

Do you have your '95 Taurus registered in one of the "rust belt" states? If so, Ford is obligated to perform the service free of charge.

NHTSA Campaign ID number : 98V323000

Make / Model: Years:
FORD / TAURUS 1986-1995

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 98V323000 Recall Date : DEC 15, 1998
Component: STRUCTURE:FRAME AND MEMBERS
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 26970

Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD, OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED, IN CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KANSAS, KENTUCKY, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEBRASKA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGNIA, AND WISCONSIN.

THE REAR LOWER SUBFRAME MOUNT PLATE NUT CAN EXPERIENCE STRESS CORROSION CRACKING IF SUBJECTED TO LONG TERM EXPOSURE TO ROAD SALTS. THIS CAN RESULT IN FRACTURE AND LOSS OF THE STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY OF THE SUBFRAME MOUNT ATTACHMENT. DETACHMENT OF THE BODY MOUNTS AT THE REAR CORNERS OF THE SUBFRAME, WHICH SUPPORTS THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION, ALLOWS THE REAR CORNERS OF THE SUBFRAME TO DROP.

Consequence:
IF BOTH REAR CORNERS DROP, STEERING WOULD BECOME SUDDENLY VERY DIFFICULT, AFFECTING VEHICLE CONTROL AND INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL SUBFRAME REAR MOUNT BOLTS, REINFORCEMENT PLATES, AND PLATE NUTS.

Notes:
NOTE: THIS RECALL CAMPAIGN SUPERCEDES RECALL CAMPAIGN 93V-106. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN JANUARY 18, 1999. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

P.S. If your dealer plays dumb or tries to say that the safety recall has expired (it hasn't), then you can download and/or print supporting documents from here to give to them:

http://152.122.48.12/prepos/files/Artemis/...C-98V323-NN.PDF
Excellent! Thank you so much. I already spent an hour trying to figure the damn thing out, scratched the hell out of hand, and my flex pipe in my exhaust started ripping after it broke. Anyways, I will make an appointment tomorrow.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You're welcome.

Be advised that a few people have run into a less-than-enthusiastic attitude from their Ford dealers on this. Just be persistent.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
If worse comes to worse you can do the job yourself. I strongly suggest getting new upper and lower rear subframe bushings, buy the subframe recall kit, it comes with instructions. And go from there, It will take maybe 2 hours if that to do it right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The bolt on my passenger side failed, I knew what was wrong because I had a previous car repaired under the recall. The local dealer said my car was not in the recall. I called ford and they said my car is not in the recall and refused to give a reason for a 91 sable from NY/NJ not to be included. I filed a complaint with nhsta and got no action. I then did the repair myself after paying the dealer for the kit. I will never buy a ford product again!! :angryfire:

·
Registered
39 Posts
QUOTE (91sablewagon @ Jun 27 2009, 07:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735576
The bolt on my passenger side failed, I knew what was wrong because I had a previous car repaired under the recall. The local dealer said my car was not in the recall. I called ford and they said my car is not in the recall and refused to give a reason for a 91 sable from NY/NJ not to be included. I filed a complaint with nhsta and got no action. I then did the repair myself after paying the dealer for the kit. I will never buy a ford product again!! :angryfire:[/b]
I have a 91 sable wagon with the 3.8L engine and my subframe is rotted out where the rear subframe mounting holes are. I have to replace my subframe and was wondering how much the sub frame kit costs from a dealer

·
Registered
448 Posts
The subframe recall kit DOES NOT come with the subframe. If your subframe is rotted out, you are gonna need to go buy a new subframe from a junk yard. Being that it is a 91, I don't think it interchanges with newer taurus (96-07 all use the same I believe). So search on car-part.com to see if you can find something.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Quit saying bad things about Fords

Mike
:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
:huh: It looks like the PDF link posted up top is no longer active. If anyone has a link for the Ford recall/repair of subframe mounting, that would be great.

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts