Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
I really don't like to hate on peoples work, But..
The fluid spec is Mercon V, Use such, And no "PSF is the same as ATF".
Second, a more thorough way to do things and as the way the Ford service manual states is to remove the fluid from the reservoir and disconnect the line feeding the pump from the front of it, hook on a plastic tube to a catch container and either, jack the front up and turn the steering wheel with the engine off, or turn the engine on and as its pumping the fluid out, you keep adding fresh. After about 2.5-3 quarts, its ALL changed.
While this is a valid way of doing it, its just really slow and inefficient.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use Valvoline Maxlife. The last time I changed mine it only took about 15 min. I used the cheapest brand of ATF to flush it, then add the Maxlife.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It would have been a really long time since mine has been done. Probably close to two years. Is Power steering fluid and transmission fluid the same thing? What do I use? I read above Valvoline Maxlife. Will this do?

In addition do I need to by multiple bottles of the stuff and I have read you need to change the fluid once a week for so many months to really clean it out. Sound like a waste on fluid?? Or am I thinking about it differently?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My transmission fluid is looking like this at the moment. Is it good or bad and where to from here?

I also got some on my arm. I washed it off but I will be ok right?

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Yup, you'll be fine mate.

Look decent from here, but put a drop on a white paper towel and let it spread out for 30 seconds. It should spread out and have an even pink to light brown color. If it doesn't spread out or is darker in the middle (from particulates) that's bad. All these are good (first spot is used).

For the fluid type, yes these cars use ATF as power steering fluid. Just buy a bunch of Mercon V fluid and use it for both. The PS turkey baster method only takes out about 100 mL of fluid at a time, so a bottle lasts many small changes.

Looks like Mercon V might not be easy to get there, but I found Penrite ATF FM5 is certified: http://www.penriteoil.com.au/pis_pdfs/ATF FM5.pdf

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks mate.

So should I still change the fluid every so often like fortnightly? Or are things ok from the picture? I will do the paper test tomorrow as its late where I am.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
So should I still change the fluid every so often like fortnightly?
Change the transmission fluid about every 50,000 km.

Change the PS fluid when it looks dirty or burnt, perhaps about every 2-3 years. Using the turkey baster method, empty and refill the reservoir, drive the car a bit to mix, and repeat (after every trip is convenient). Keep doing this until you're happy with the condition of the fluid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You only have to do the P/S once every two years or so. There is a difference between ATF and P/S fluid. Use only ATF. Like I said I use Valvoline Max Life in my cars for the transmission and the P/S. I don't know if you can get it where you are at.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Everything Ive read in this old thread is for Gen 3 and newer.

What about Gen 1 and 2 replacement fluid? One manual suggests Ford Type F which is still available and other threads/sites say to NOT use the later ATF's or current PS fluids.

Which is correct for my 92 and are any of the aftermarket items such as Seafoam any good for this antique?

Geoff

41 - 51 of 51 Posts