Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure I'd do a write-up. It's dead simple and with this method you don't have to crawl under the car.

On the Vulcan and Essex, the P/S reservoir is on the engine and it's big enough for a turkey baster. I had a real cheap turkey baster that fell apart after a few pumps and left fluid everywhere so it got messy.

On the Duratec, my turkey baster wouldn't fit so one day I was washing my hands and thought "Hmm, that thing will work" so I saved the soap bottle once it was empty. You'll also need trans fluid. Doesn't matter what trans fluid. I had some leftover Mercon and thought I'd use it all up. I'll need to pick up some full-synthetic for later. Not pictured is a bottle to catch the old fluid.

So, just take the pump off the soap bottle and make sure you rinse it good before using it! Don't want to contaminate the P/S system with soap. And then just start pumping into a bottle. I used an old water bottle. It's easier to use two hands.

I managed to pump about half a pint out of the reservoir. The P/S system is about a quart.

This needs to be done once a week for about a month so clean fluid is gradually put into the system to clean it and then siphoned out and replaced. Eventually it'll all be clean.

Note: the soap pump might not work on the Essex or Vulcan because the soap pump isn't long enough. Use a turkey baster for those engines. Go buy one. Your mom/wife/girlfriend won't appreciate you using her turkey baster.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Good writeup Alex, this will be something I can tackle on my own and not pay the dealer to do. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Good idea, Alex! That's like the MacGyver version of the siphon pump I use....I like it. :thumb:

Now, can you do a write up and show pics using the Turkey Baster method? THanks! [/b]
Stick the baster in the reservoir, suck up the fluid, put the baster in a container for old fluid, squeeze. Repeat. Pretty self explanatory.

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Another good way to drain the PS fluid is to get about 4-5' of 1/8" ID clear plastic tubing and siphon it out. This is a bit slow but who cares? You can also use this tubing to drain out too much ATX fluid or to bleed the brakes.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Stick the baster in the reservoir, suck up the fluid, put the baster in a container for old fluid, squeeze. Repeat. Pretty self explanatory.
[/b]
Not really, where do you put the turkey baster again? What if I squeeze it too hard?

I gotta change mine, it's all nasty for some reason. I've got 23k on my car now and it's black, my last taurus still had clean fluid at 40k. :huh:

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine's an '03. Maybe my turkey baster's too big.

For Vulcan/Essex owners, the power steering reservoir is located in the same spot and looks identical. Remove cap, stick turkey baster in, squeeze bulb, pull it out and squirt into empty container. Repeat until reservoir is empty. Fill up P/S reservoir to MIN line and put cap back on.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Don't forget to replace the power steering FILTER.
[/b]
Some Tauri have them and some don't.

Mine does, so I'd have to drain the whole system, change the filter, refill, and bleed it. Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure how to bleed it. We did it in my undercar course but I can't remember how it was done (I was stuck in a group full of dickheads and got to do almost nothing myself in that class). I thought you were supposed to turn the wheel very slowly lock to lock 10 times without the engine running, top off the fluid, start the engine, and then top the fluid off again, but I'm not actually sure.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
The easiest way I find to bleed the fluid is jack the front of the vehicle to take the weight off of the wheels. This takes less effort to turn. Anyhew, witht eh front up, fill the reservoir and then cut the wheel lock to lock, without holding against the lock. Shut the car down for a bit and let it sit for a few minutes. Then repeat the steps. Shut it down, check your fluid level. After that any air left in the system will bleed out as you drive it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
A yet another easy, cheap, and clean method for getting the old fluid out of the reservoir is the following:

Buy a 7meter fish tank hose at a local Walmart (less than $3). Cut a 1 meter long or so segment. Place one end in the power steering fluid reservoir, suck a little air out of the other end to fill the hose with fluid, and then place that end into some kind of container next to the car. I used a plastic coke bottle. Five minutes later all of the fluid in the reservoir pumps out on its own (on 3rd gen Taurus it's a about 1/3 of a quarter).

PS: Sorry, I didn't read SHOZ123's post before posting..

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
When I did the transmission swap I just removed the hose at the
ps cooler just below the radiator and the fluid just ran out into the container.

·
Registered
151 Posts
QUOTE (james27613 @ Feb 11 2009, 01:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=701181
When I did the transmission swap I just removed the hose at the
ps cooler just below the radiator and the fluid just ran out into the container.[/b]
When I went in for a Transmission Fluid Flush (T-Tech) they did my PS fluid on accident by intercepting a PS line instead of a trans line.. They must have ran 5 quarts of fluid through the PS system in 11 seconds..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would like to add to this thread. I recently had an engine replaced. The garage that did the work had and I assume has very poor mechanical ability. They never bled my power steering. MY SYSTEM HAD AN UNUSUAL LARGE AMOUNT OF AIR IN IT!!! Upon getting the system bled out and getting ALL THE AIR OUT, I learned about a great idea that Ford discontinued in 1997 on the entire Taurus lineup. This will give your power steering pump a much longer life!!!!!!!!

I have a2001 3.0 ohv, vin code U. You can use this procedure on any model I suspect.

My fluid was dark brown/black and foaming badly. The pump wined terrible but the shop owner said it would work its way out when driving. 45 miles later and pissed off I did the following.

The return hose coming off the pwr steering pump reservoir can be cut and clamped with a new TRANSMISSION INLINE FILTER if your GEN 4 wants cleaner fluid for longer!!!. You will have to find a good location on the line as the filter is about as large as an inline fuel filter canister. Ford sells these "Power Steering Fluid Inline Filters" for $60.00+ tax but it is listed in there computers as a Transmission Inline Filter after 1997!? TOO MUCH $$$. SEARCH FOR AN AFTER MARKET.

To completely remove all the air I left my engine OFF. Using LOTS of old rags I wrapped them around the Pwr Stg Punp cap, (with the cap OFF), and turned the key to unlock and began turning the wheel slowly left and right to the end stops. After each cycle of left to right I would remove the rags, Soaked with fluid. I fortunately had a buddy watch as all the air bubbles rose to the top and literally burped out of my system!!!! THIS WAS MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE THAN THE HAYNES MANUAL. After the air came out he fluid would then go lower replacing where the air had been in the system. After about 10 cycles I had very little fluid in the reservoir as it had bled down into the system. I then added more fluid up to the cold fill line and did the procedure a few more times. After there were no more bubbles I filled to cold line, replaced the cap and all is fine.

I then read in the Haynes Manual that there is an inline filter to replace but my year does not show one on any parts computer in any Ford Store or auto parts store.. I found out through many calls to auto part stores and Ford Parts Dept. of the filter being discontinued after 1997. WHY, WHY, WHY???. Advance Auto and the like do not offer any inline filters for pwr steering or tranny. Auto Zone said they used to sell an aftermarket inline tranny filter that would work but they have not gotten back to me.
I will update when I here from them or find one through a transmission shop.

Easy steering,

shomanship

1993 SHO SADLY SOLD
2001 SES BEING MODIFIED

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (shomanship @ May 14 2009, 07:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725189
I would like to add to this thread. I recently had an engine replaced. The garage that did the work had and I assume has very poor mechanical ability. They never bled my power steering. MY SYSTEM HAD AN UNUSUAL LARGE AMOUNT OF AIR IN IT!!! Upon getting the system bled out and getting ALL THE AIR OUT, I learned about a great idea that Ford discontinued in 1997 on the entire Taurus lineup. This will give your power steering pump a much longer life!!!!!!!!

I have a2001 3.0 ohv, vin code U. You can use this procedure on any model I suspect.

My fluid was dark brown/black and foaming badly. The pump wined terrible but the shop owner said it would work its way out when driving. 45 miles later and pissed off I did the following.

The return hose coming off the pwr steering pump reservoir can be cut and clamped with a new TRANSMISSION INLINE FILTER if your GEN 4 wants cleaner fluid for longer!!!. You will have to find a good location on the line as the filter is about as large as an inline fuel filter canister. Ford sells these "Power Steering Fluid Inline Filters" for $60.00+ tax but it is listed in there computers as a Transmission Inline Filter after 1997!? TOO MUCH $$$. SEARCH FOR AN AFTER MARKET.

To completely remove all the air I left my engine OFF. Using LOTS of old rags I wrapped them around the Pwr Stg Punp cap, (with the cap OFF), and turned the key to unlock and began turning the wheel slowly left and right to the end stops. After each cycle of left to right I would remove the rags, Soaked with fluid. I fortunately had a buddy watch as all the air bubbles rose to the top and literally burped out of my system!!!! THIS WAS MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE THAN THE HAYNES MANUAL. After the air came out he fluid would then go lower replacing where the air had been in the system. After about 10 cycles I had very little fluid in the reservoir as it had bled down into the system. I then added more fluid up to the cold fill line and did the procedure a few more times. After there were no more bubbles I filled to cold line, replaced the cap and all is fine.

I then read in the Haynes Manual that there is an inline filter to replace but my year does not show one on any parts computer in any Ford Store or auto parts store.. I found out through many calls to auto part stores and Ford Parts Dept. of the filter being discontinued after 1997. WHY, WHY, WHY???. Advance Auto and the like do not offer any inline filters for pwr steering or tranny. Auto Zone said they used to sell an aftermarket inline tranny filter that would work but they have not gotten back to me.
I will update when I here from them or find one through a transmission shop.

Easy steering,

shomanship

1993 SHO SADLY SOLD
2001 SES BEING MODIFIED[/b]
Hello, I am new here and we just bought a 1999 Taurus SE for my sister. It has 124,000 miles on it with the 24v v6. I noticed it had power steering noise when we got it home. Fluid was on cover of resivoir. I have looked on this forum and found this is a sign of air. We bleed it like you said too,and as soon as I start it the noise returns in a second. When rebleed, the system has ton of air. We used turkey baster at first and replaced fluid. We don't know the history of this car, so I don't know if pump was replaced recently. By the dirt in engine, I douht it. System makes the growl sound of cavitation in pump. Also hitches sometimes. The car isn't on road yet. We got it last wedsday. I tried to find the answer in other posts,so if I am repeating question I am sorry! Any help will be apprieciated! I worked at a chevy dealer years ago and never had much expirience with Ford products. Our p.s pumps only had to be bleed for a little, not like this one!! Thanks for your help!!!

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
I personally put a little bit of AutoRX in the system (maybe 1/4 measuring cup?) and within a day or so the pump stopped whining or grinding or hitching. Nada. Steers perfect. I gave it a few weeks, and then using an electric windshield washer pump I scavanged hooked up to some clear tubing, I sucked out all I could and replaced it with new (Mystik Dextron/Mercon, all I had) and it's been great ever since, and it's been 2 or 3 months.

AutoRX is some pretty nifty stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hello,

2 weeks ago when I went into Midas to have my oil changed, I had the mechanic looked at my power steering fluid to determine if it need to be changed. The reply from him was fluid looked alright to him and it don't need to be changed out yet.

However the fluid color look kinda of like brown in color when I look from the top of the reservoir. Then when I put a drop of the the fluid on a piece of white kitchen towel, it looked like light brown in color and the it does spread out a little.

I bought the car used about 1 month ago and according to the previous owner, he had all the fluids changed out at 80K miles and the car now have 103,500 miles. And now I have a couple of question in mind and does seems to have a clear answer to them.

1. Based on the above scenerio, is it normal for the power steering fluid to look brown?

2. How do I determine if the fluid needs to be changed out? Is there any simple test that I can run?

3. If a changeout for the power steering fluid is required, do I use Valvoline MaxLife® DEX/MERC ATF or Valvoline MERCON® V ATF
, alongside with the Turkey Baster method?

Note: I have about 3/4 Quart of the Valvoline MaxLife® DEX/MERC ATF left in the bottle.

Many thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts