Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my Ford taurus GL, I'm going to be replacing my plugs and wires, because my old ones are definately due for replacement. I was wondering, 1. What plugs work well 2. What brand of wires, 3. Is it easy to get at the rear bank compared to say, the SHO 3.0, because I did it on that, and that wasn't horrible, but wasn't easy either.

·
Registered
108 Posts
1) I put Motorcraft Platinums in mine a couple of weeks ago. I've heard the regular copper ones are better but they're only rated for ~30,000 miles and I really don't want to change 'em again on my 3.8 anytime soon. :p

2) Again, I used Motorcraft. A lot of people will tell you to stick with stock wires.

3) It was a right pain in the arse to do the rear plugs on the 3.8. If you have the 3.0 Vulcan it shouldn't be as difficult. If you have the 3.8 the best way to get to the rear 3 for me was to put a couple pieces of cardboard on top of the intake, crawl up on the engine and kneel on the cardboard so I could get both hands back there. (but then again I'm short...) It is a VERY tight fit. Taking out the intake hose(s), airbox and MAF helped gain some elbow room.

I purchased my plugs, wires & cap/rotor from http://www.rockauto.com

good luck :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good stuff, I have the 3.0, so I'll prolly have less of a pain trying to change out the plugs, I was just wondering, because on the older model of the vulcan(86), my dad had to remove the intake...but, hopefully that won't be the case.

·
Registered
790 Posts
with my 3.0, changing the plugs just required leaning over the pass. fender to get to the rear plugs......... should be spiffy easy-poo for ya to do.....

I put in the double platinums... they're supposed to be uber-long last and it just sounds nice to say..... "double platinum".... :D
they're a lil pricey tho....

·
Registered
221 Posts
i put autolite coppers in my 3.0 and autolite wires. the plugs are awkward to get to. also it helps if the engine is cool because your hands are gonna be all over those headers for the back plugs.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
You have to be David Copperfield to change the plugs on our 3100 Malibu :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts