Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:huh:
Hi all....

I'm wondering if anyone has or knows where I can find pictures of how to change plugs on the back 3 in a 3.8 liter Taurus GL Wagon? I relaced the front but can even imagine how to get back there unless I hire a tiny little mechanic!

Thanks!

PS: Boy! the front three were quite a JOB! Can't imagine the back.....

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
you have to do it by hand you can see **** in there on my 3.8 no room

on my 3.0 not to bad but still by hand

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I have to do it by hand...but I was looking for pictures on how exactly to get back there......what has to be removed, etc.

Anyone done it and lived to tell about it??????

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I just did the job the other week, not bad at all. Just used a 3/8" ratchet to do the job. If you pull the rubber u shaped intake hose off that connects to the throttle body, that makes a little more room.

I folded up a towel and kneeled on the radiator support. I ran into no problems, it's not as bad as it looks.

A few days later I even removed the rear exhaust manifold to replace the gasket, it really isn't a bad job.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Yeah, you might have to crawl on top the engine. Removing the intake pipe will be easier for teh #2 and #3 spark plugs, but the #1 is a major PITA. I've heard some people get that one by taking off the passenger front wheel and fender liner to get to it. If you go in from above, you better have small hands or a good extension.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I did it a couple months ago on mine. Removing the intake hose is pretty much mandatory, but is not a big deal.
#1 is the hardest. IIRC, I used a 3" extension and u-joint. You can't hope to get it from the top, you have to get it coming sideways by #2. I was even able to get my 20" torque wrench in there when tigtening.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I didn't think it was hard at all, but then again I've been wrenching on tauri for quite awhile. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you think I have to remove the cowl to get more room? Or how about the UIM...does that have to come off or will it make no difference?

Thanks for all the replies!

Mikey

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I don't think removing the cowl would be the soulution. The problem is the rear bank is super close to the firewall. The intake manifold doesn't cover the back at all, just the hose that goes from the airbox to the intake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts