Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to get some reccomendations/experiences with changing out all the bulbs in the interior for LEDs. I'm not gonna bother with the vanity mirrors (because I'm a guy Iand don't use them anyways, aside from the difficulty of opening em up). I have an 03 sedan. I'm looking for the best price on bulbs for map light, dome light, trunk cargo light, courtesy footwell lighting(that I added in already) and license plate lighting.

All in all I believe that it will be 7 212-2/578 bulbs, and 4 168/194. Is it correct that these LEDs fit multiple oem bulb sockets?

How many bulbs light up the guage cluster? I believe I read that they were 194 bulbs, so I would add that to the total needed
If anyone has done this I'd love some insight.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bumpadump chump.

Hasn't anybody done the full led swap? I just want to get it all on one "cart," as they say.

Sent from my rooted Note II

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
I've done it, for the interior and trunk. The trunk lamp, the center dome lamp, and map lamps all use the same #212-2 festoon bulbs. This is assuming you have no moonroof, though.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done it, for the interior and trunk. The trunk lamp, the center dome lamp, and map lamps all use the same #212-2 festoon bulbs. This is assuming you have no moonroof, though.
Yeah no moon roof. Did you change the instrument cluster bulbs too?

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Your 2003 has a completely different cluster than my '05; can't help you there.

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
LEDs!! YES!!!

I have done
3 dome lights
2 Puddle Lamps
2 License plate lamps
and 4 trunk lamps

I have two more dome lights I may add somewhere. Not sure....
What I won't do... turn signals, park/running lamps, and cluster lamps.

Just look on eBay... you can use 42mm or 41mm 16 LED Festoons for the trunk and dome lamps. And License plate is the 194/168 Bulb.

But it makes a much better look.

·
Registered
497 Posts
LEDs!! YES!!!

I have done
3 dome lights
2 Puddle Lamps
2 License plate lamps
and 4 trunk lamps

I have two more dome lights I may add somewhere. Not sure....
What I won't do... turn signals, park/running lamps, and cluster lamps.

Just look on eBay... you can use 42mm or 41mm 16 LED Festoons for the trunk and dome lamps. And License plate is the 194/168 Bulb.

But it makes a much better look.

Do the 16-led festoons fit without any problems in all locations? I noticed that they are wider than the regular bulbs.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
TaurusDailyDriver I already have the 3 trunk lights to add (borrowing your idea)

Does the dome light(non-moonroof) have 3 bulbs?

how did you add the led's to the puddle lamps? Do you have a guide? Lol

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
DAMN I should have used a Taurus dome luminary instead of the one from the s10. It would have "fit" better.

I have been thinking of updating it. Where instead of toggling off and on, but a momentarily switch. A circuit that resets when the deck led is closed. Then it's always back on when you open the luggage compartment. I think that would have a higher "Spouse Acceptance Factor".

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
Yes, on my build thread for the 2006, I have some pictures. When in doubt, check there :p

I'll post the stuff here though too :)

So it is real easy... you pop out the puddle lamp by depressing the little tab that holds it up into the mirror assembly.

This is what I did:

I went around the edge with a hack saw to break the seal. I reglued them together after. You do not want to saw through the entire thing. You want to saw around the edge while rotating it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
TaurusDailyDriver
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing