Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm TIRED of having to prop a stupid 2" piece of PVC pipe to hold my hood up everytime i need to get under there lol...i was wondering if anyone has changed theirs out before. I have a 96' GL Taurus (i think thats Gen 3 right?)

Any kind of help would be appreciated, im a visual person so if anyone has pictures to show how to do it that would be awesome!

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I just did a Gen2 and if the Gen3 is similar it is very easy. Just remove the clip on the bottom and slide out the pin. Then pop off the ball joint.

We have them here: Hood Strut

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just did a Gen2 and if the Gen3 is similar it is very easy. Just remove the clip on the bottom and slide out the pin. Then pop off the ball joint.

Wow that sounds surprisingly easy lol. I was hoping it wouldn't require something ridiculous. Why is it my year has to have the 'add $10.50' lol, is that your online store you sent me a link to? Forgive my ignorance but what is a SHO?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
That is the price difference for the hood struts. I am not sure why they charge more.

Yes it is my online store.

The SHO stands for Super High Output and it is the performance version of the Taurus. SVT was never involved.

In the 80's Ford was working on a Fiero looking mid engine Corvette killer called the GN34. Ford went to Yamaha to see if they could get the Vulcan to make more power. They said no and instead created the SHO motor which shares the same bolt pattern and engine size, that's about it. The SHO motor produced 220hp from a 3.0 V6 which in 89 was a lot and looked good too.

Ford had to then choose between the Explorer or the GN34 but obviously the Explorer won. The Taurus was also slated to get the SHO motor to help production. Ford had already bought the SHO motor and so continued to stuff the engine in the Taurus and so the SHO was born. There are different variants of the story.

The SHO was produced as:
89-95 3.0 V6 with 220hp Manual
93-95 3.2 V6 with 220hp Auto (had more torque)

In 96 the V8 SHO was produced as both Yamaha and Ford worked on the engine. This engine is know for cam failures for which need to be welded.

The V8 was a 3.4L and produced 235hp with an auto only.

The 3.0 Manual is the fastest of the 89-99 years.

More reading: http://www.shotimes.com/php-bin/

In 2010 Ford re-did the SHO with 365hp, twin turbos and AWD: SHO Source - Articles - 2010 SHO - 2010 Taurus SHO Press Release
Yamaha was not involved.

So there you go. The engine:

Some more pictures: 1992 Ford Taurus pictures, photos, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

·
Registered
6 Posts
The lookup name for these are "support lifts". Autozone has these - the Mighty Lift brand are about $22 ea. (you will need two). They are super-easy to change!

·
Registered
10,939 Posts

Hood strut pic.

Just did one as I lost a good and one cylinder to a tree.

Got a hood and cylinder at Pick A Part.

Pic is of a junk cylinder from older Taurus, but the design has not changed. You can just use a small screw driver and pull the clip a bit and it just slides off the ball. Of course if you do not release the hood weight on the cylinder it will not be all that easy.

-chart-

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
if you get a hood strut at the junkyard, make sure the donors hood stays firmly up before choosing the part.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is the price difference for the hood struts. I am not sure why they charge more.

Yes it is my online store.

The SHO stands for Super High Output and it is the performance version of the Taurus. SVT was never involved.

In the 80's Ford was working on a Fiero looking mid engine Corvette killer called the GN34. Ford went to Yamaha to see if they could get the Vulcan to make more power. They said no and instead created the SHO motor which shares the same bolt pattern and engine size, that's about it. The SHO motor produced 220hp from a 3.0 V6 which in 89 was a lot and looked good too.

Ford had to then choose between the Explorer or the GN34 but obviously the Explorer won. The Taurus was also slated to get the SHO motor to help production. Ford had already bought the SHO motor and so continued to stuff the engine in the Taurus and so the SHO was born. There are different variants of the story.

The SHO was produced as:
89-95 3.0 V6 with 220hp Manual
93-95 3.2 V6 with 220hp Auto (had more torque)

In 96 the V8 SHO was produced as both Yamaha and Ford worked on the engine. This engine is know for cam failures for which need to be welded.

The V8 was a 3.4L and produced 235hp with an auto only.

The 3.0 Manual is the fastest of the 89-99 years.

More reading: SHOtimes FAQ :: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about the Ford Taurus SHO from the SHOTIMES mailing list.

In 2010 Ford re-did the SHO with 365hp, twin turbos and AWD: SHO Source - Articles - 2010 SHO - 2010 Taurus SHO Press Release
Yamaha was not involved.

So there you go. The engine:

Some more pictures: 1992 Ford Taurus pictures, photos, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
Wow, quite a story...i never thought id be impressed by a Taurus engine, but that one looks sweet lol..just not a huge fan of the body..but thats just my taste. I appreciate the info and the site link...the only thing that has me kinda :-\ is the shipping being $15

The lookup name for these are "support lifts". Autozone has these - the Mighty Lift brand are about $22 ea. (you will need two). They are super-easy to change!
Super easy is always a nice thing to hear

Hood strut pic.

Just did one as I lost a good and one cylinder to a tree.

Got a hood and cylinder at Pick A Part.

Pic is of a junk cylinder from older Taurus, but the design has not changed. You can just use a small screw driver and pull the clip a bit and it just slides off the ball. Of course if you do not release the hood weight on the cylinder it will not be all that easy.

-chart-
Well i have my good ole PVC pipe to help with that (my 3rd arm) so the weight should be off, if not then i can always get someone to help me out real quick...thanks for the pic that helped a lot

if you get a hood strut at the junkyard, make sure the donors hood stays firmly up before choosing the part.
Good advice lol...i just gotta find a fair junk yard (not JUST for this but for other stuff i need to do). The couple ive been going to charge like $3-5 JUST to walk the yard and screw you for things you get...$8 for ANY plastic piece (an ash tray, really?) Spent like $60+ just to get an ash tray, rearview mirror, AC vent and a damn sun visor

·
Registered
516 Posts
I just did mine tonight and took less than 5 min. I bought mine at work so I know they are good since they are straight from Ford

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did mine this afternoon.....sure is nice to not have to worry about getting creamed in the head. Took about 2 minutes each after you find the tools that is.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Did mine this afternoon.....sure is nice to not have to worry about getting creamed in the head. Took about 2 minutes each after you find the tools that is.
They do not give much trouble. I have been through the Taurus line at the pick a part and most are hood up with only the hydraulic holders. Only once and a while proped up.

-chart-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts