Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi out there in taurus land, listen my taurus has bout 75,000 miles and i am thinking bout flushing the power steering and brake system fluids. I had my tranny done around 50,000, but i never had the others flushed at all. Its not giving me problems however i just trying to keep the"Gray Ghost" running in tip top form pls tell me what u suggest or think ok!:D

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
You can empty the ps reservoir with a turkey baster and refill with mercon v atf. Do this periodically several times until fluid remains clean and red. You can do the same (with dot 3 or 4 brake fluid) with the brake master cylinder and bleed all 4 wheels while keeping the mc topped off until new clean fluid comes out ea. bleeder.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
The turkey baster method is an alright method, however you will go through more fluid and takes way too long IMO. If you unhook the return line to the reservoir and run the return line to a catch container, you can flush the power steering. Plug the nipple for the return on the reservoir and have someone start the car while you pour power steering fluid into the reservoir. Also if you have the front end jacked out you can cut the wheels from side to side ( not holding on the locks) to flush out the rack. Not many here will do this, but IMO it's the most efficient. When your done, reconnect the return line and top off the reservoir and bleed out the air.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts